Ultrex Pedal froze up

Had the lower motor replaced for water intrusion in July. ASC said the skeg was off center so must have been impact damage (never hit anything) so I ate the motor out of pocket. While there he said he would replace the 'board" while he had the motor. Fast forward all has been ok but motor seemed to be getting loud again intermittently. Today spot locked down and kept kicking off after a dozen times hitting the lock and it coming off, I realized the pedal froze up no up or down. It will move if I manually move the head but no steering normal................ASC again???? No obstructions, and all buttons operate normally. This is getting to be a pain in the ass.

I wonder how much more the ASC charges you vs. the warranty claim? That’s BS they claim damage if it’s not there.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

3. Member
    could be sensor board, but could be (if you have it) external transducer wiring too tight not allowing spotlock to turn motor or another obstruction of some type. Check for all possible obstructions before taking it in. The sensor board is a warranty fix.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    John, it was working fine for the last month, I checked the cables after they were all loose before I took off power and still froze up. Also looked for obstructions, zip ties etc... before I removed the motor.

When the ASC changed the lower last month he also replaced the sensor board (warranty) Planning on calling MK customer service Monday. This is getting to be a PITA on and off too much. And still not happy about paying out of pocket for a rebuild lower motor either........ this "impact" damage is questionable in my opinion. I'm relatively certain the skeg was offset out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    could be sensor board, but could be (if you have it) external transducer wiring too tight not allowing spotlock to turn motor or another obstruction of some type. Check for all possible obstructions before taking it in. The sensor board is a warranty fix.
    John

5. Member
    I understand you being upset about the impact damage. Unfortunately, that is the ASC's call. Myself, I look for other signs that would also show impact damage, especially knowing that these motors are thrown around during shipping like they are. I don't know the ASC and yes, it is an upgrade if you have the older sensor board to install the new sensor board, as well as new steering cables if yours has the older cables. It does sound like it worked for a period of time, but sounds like the new sensor board has gone bad. Will be a warranty fix.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    John took it back again to local ASC this morning. I originally paid out of pocket for a "rebuilt" lower. He said he'd make good and replace with a new lower and I'd assume a new sensor board.........we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I understand you being upset about the impact damage. Unfortunately, that is the ASC's call. Myself, I look for other signs that would also show impact damage, especially knowing that these motors are thrown around during shipping like they are. I don't know the ASC and yes, it is an upgrade if you have the older sensor board to install the new sensor board, as well as new steering cables if yours has the older cables. It does sound like it worked for a period of time, but sounds like the new sensor board has gone bad. Will be a warranty fix.
    John

7. Member
    John, I missed the quote above wehre you said something about newer steering cables?? That was never mentioned by the ASC. You drop shipped mine in Jan 17 SN#0347MK00740. Does this SN warrant new cables? If so should I contact the ASC while he has it?

Quote Originally Posted by ajwasco View Post
    John took it back again to local ASC this morning. I originally paid out of pocket for a "rebuilt" lower. He said he'd make good and replace with a new lower and I'd assume a new sensor board.........we'll see.

8. Member
    Yes, there is a service bulletin for him to put the "Ultrex" cables on it.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]