Update with Fishsmart App.

Any one tried updateing a Bluetooth capable unit with the Fishsmart App. and smart phone? Friend told me about it and said worked very well, no SD card or computer needed. Just asking for future use never heard about it until now.

Yes, installed unit software that way. I used an iPad though instead of a phone.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Updated Ulterra ipilot link. remote and controller in February from iphone. Sorry that was the Minn Kota App. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 08-18-2018 at 05:55 AM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes, installed unit software that way. I used an iPad though instead of a phone.
    Wayne, I have Iphone as well as IPad, does it have to use WI-FI or will cellular connection work. My at&t cell is about as fast as my Century Link WI-FI. I looked at app description in App Store but didn’t provide a lot of direction. I guess I’ll load the app and just play with it. Thanks

You download the software with whatever internet connection you can get. The transfer of data to the unit is done via Bluetooth.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    So today I updated my Helix 9 and 12 to the new 2.280 software using the FishSmart app and Bluetooth transfer. The units both indicate the update was successful but the Fishsmart app still shows that I need to do the update. Any idea how I can get the app to show the updated software?

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You download the software with whatever internet connection you can get. The transfer of data to the unit is done via Bluetooth.
    Hopefully, one day the FishSmart app will take advantage of the Wifi Hotspot Capabilities on the Solix. That would be a much faster way to transfer updates from the phone to the Control Head. I still haven't found anything you can do with the Wifi Hotspot on the Solix. I know it's for "future purposes" but it seems like there should be something you can do now.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Hopefully, one day the FishSmart app will take advantage of the Wifi Hotspot Capabilities on the Solix. That would be a much faster way to transfer updates from the phone to the Control Head. I still haven't found anything you can do with the Wifi Hotspot on the Solix. I know it's for "future purposes" but it seems like there should be something you can do now.
    With the issues they are having with processor speed and resources I really can’t see them utilizing WiFi with the G1 and it would be difficult but not impossible for the G3
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    Look it up on youtube.

Something I just thought of

If you can see the wifi hotspot that means its functional to a point and utilizing processor resources

wonder if its hard wired or if they can turn it off until they need it

I know it can't be a lot but the G1 could use all the help it can get
    Last edited by MichAngler; 12-22-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Something I just thought of

If you can see the wifi hotspot that means its functional to a point and utilizing processor resources

wonder if its hard wired or if they can turn it off until they need it
    There is an Icon on the Solix Home Screen for it. When you launch it, it then sends out the Wifi signal you can attach to. I've attached my phone to my Solix but Couldn't find a way to do anything with it. Was hoping I could at least access the SD card to transfer screen captures to my phone without having to do the whole SD card download to a computer thing... Nope.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

I never even noticed it

All of that requires processor resources if they aren’t going to utilize it the G1 has plenty of need for it in other places

images transfers and update downloads would certainly benefit from it but if they haven't used it yet I would bet they won't at least on the older generations
    "The handicapped angler"