Setting the Low fuel indicator-Smart Craft Gauge

Serial 2B402296. 2017 Pro XS-250. Smart Craft gauges Version 6. There was a thread where the setting of when the low fuel indicator kicks in on the display. Someone suggested that it is usually set at 25% but can be set lower. Mine appears when I still have about 1/2 tank. I went thru the calibration screens and could not find a setting for this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Which Smartcraft Instrument(s) do you have?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Not sure how to tell. When powered on it just says MercurySmart Craf gaude version 8.0. Came standard with my 2017 Merc. Readings on both the tach and speedo.

4. Member
    Sc 1000 version 8.0

See this thread for what you have...Mercmonitor, Tach/Speedo or Vessel View.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=894952

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Thanks for responding but not sure how the link answers the calibration questions.

Different types of Smartcraft instruments have different ways to calibrate them via their menu options. I know how to set up a Mercmonitor. If you have one of those I could help you.

Smartcraft is a whole line of instruments and gauges. It is like asking, "What spark plug do I need for my 2017 Toyota?" We are asking which Toyota you have. If it is easier, just snap a picture of the Smartcraft instrument and post it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

I think you mistakenly posted on the linked thread but you have the Tach/Speedo. I’m not too familiar with those but did you look under the “Cal1” menu in the Fuel Mgmt page.

Hopefully Don will chime in.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

9. Member
    I did but cannot find any settings for it.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You cannot adjust or calibrate the Low Fuel Warning- it is a preset value.

Which method of Tank/Sender Calibration was chosen (Default or Manual)?

Here is a link to the Manual, from Mercury's Website ( System Tach & Speed V7 and Above )

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Calibration is default.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What is your fuel level showing when the warning is sounding?

Keep in mind that properly setup fuel senders do not read empty with a dry tank, as the pickup tube does not reach the bottom, and the tank is full of a fluid that moves to find it's level, while sitting in a boat that is also floating in water, finding it's own level.

Consequently, proper setup means that approximately 10-15% fluid capacity is EMPTY (zero, nada, you're out).

13. Member
    There is no warning horn. Just a message that keeps appearing on the screen that says low fuel. You can exit out of it but it comes back every time you restart the motor. It appears when there is about 1/2 a tank of gas left.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't mean to over-simplify here, but is there any possibility that you have Tank-2 setup as a Fuel Tank (also), resulting in a warning for that tank?

15. Member
    I don't think so but will check.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The only other reason that you would get that warning at 1/2 tank would be a failing sending unit (gauge readings are dampened by about 30 seconds to you might not see spikes).

17. Member
    If you don't find anything else wrong, and you know correct tank capacity, might siphon all the fuel out and do the custom calibration. How I did mine so I know it will read right and works great.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax