Repowering from Honda to Mercury couple questions

Getting close to repowering from 2005 Honda to 2018 Mercury 115 or 150, I would like to reuse my controls if possible, I have SeaStar hydraulic steering, I am assuming I can reuse that. I would like to have a single display unit to display the engine data and get rid of the 4 gauges I have now. What do I need to be able to do that, I may very likely remove everything Honda, buy all the Mercury stuff except the motor, rig it all then just take it the Mercury dealer have them hang the motor and connect the harness'.

2. Member
    Several options for Gauges...You could go w/ dedicated VesselView 4", 5", 7" or 9" (see https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ys/vesselview/ )

You could put a MercMonitor on there, along w/ a Lowrance Graph and a NEMA2K backbone.

You could put a Lowrance Graph and a VesselView link on there.

You could go w/ SC-1000 SmartCraft Tach and Speedo...

If I were starting from scratch right now, I would probably do a 7" Lowrance HDS Carbon and VesselView Link instead ofmy SC-1000 Gauges, would fit in about the same area, and offer the option of using it along side my Carbon 12 as another display if I didn't care to see the gauges. The down side to this is just that if for some reason it isn't working (it is, after all, basically a computer), you don't have the gauges. The SC-1000 Tach and Speedo are pretty bullet proof.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    You're going to have to replace just about everything from the throttle back. Steering should be able to be reused with correct adapter/s (Don will know). As to gauge options this FAQ topic in the 3L 2S forum covers them well, and IMHO, for a single stand alone gauge the Mercmonitor is hard to beat (what I have) - SMARTCRAFT Options
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Agree with MichaelJ3 on the fact that if your nema2k network has an issue or chart plotter, you have no gauges. The VesselView 5, 7, 9 and VesselView Link with a Simrad, Lowrance, or B&G chart plotter ALL depend on the nmea2k network to display or interact with the engine systems. Even though Mercury packages the Vesselview 5, 7 or 9 as a complete system, they use the VesselView Link for the integration. In my opinion that is a high cost option vs. using a Simrad, Lowrance, or B&G chart plotter for the same features with the engine system and you get the Sonar/Chart system you desire.

So...what would I do...MercMonitor Level 2 and Vesselview Link to one of the chart plotter options above. The MercMonitor is a direct connection to the SmartCraft CAN Bus. The VesselView Link plugs into the CAN bus as well and has the 'integration' connection to the nmea2k network. The thing is a guised up Gateway - bi-directional in this case.