1997 Astro with 97 Merc XR6 150 hp

In need of advise/help and yes I am female and not a mechanic but hubby is not one to get online outside of looking up parts or stuff on Craigslist.

We purchased a used 1997 Astro with 97 Merc XR6 150 hp the serial number is OG487657
    got it home and hubby who is retired mechanic started going over things and found the lower unit has issues.

He has the mercury manual we purchased to help some but he is not versed in Mercury boat motors.
    Basically he is telling me the lower unit needs to be replaced.
    That means we're looking at roughly a thousand to replace with a new lower unit.
    (yes as we all learn BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand)

He found a 99 lower unit it says the shaft is 25", but we are wondering when measuring the shaft where are you measuring to and from?
    for ours if you measure from the top of the water pump it is 21" but is that the correct place to go from?
    if so then that means the one he found won't work of course.

any advise or help is greatly appreciated
    Born to Fish Forced to Work

2. Member
    You almost certainly don’t have a 25” on a bass boat. There are used options that may work that are reasonable, I personally cant tell you which ones but someone should be able to.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You will need an L (20") shaft length. Watch the Motor Parts Forum- often will see them on there.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    THAN YOU VERY MUCH for your replies!!!
    Born to Fish Forced to Work