Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Port Console/ No Port Console ?

Hello All !

Here's another - It depends on who I talk to issue ! I am on the fence on whether or not to look into purchasing the Port console for a newer Ranger z521 that I hope to be puchasing very soon. My old 488vs has the second console and I can say that my son has always appreciated it; in the winter atleast ( I do too now that he drives sometimes ). Friends who have pulled their consoles out, say no way, dont spend the $, much better with out ! My thought is that I'd like to afford my son and possibly some other co-angler the luxury, a little extra storage is always nice. I'm not rich, but having the extra console should help with resale if I ever go there. Friends say that there is much more room ( I say not useable room ), and I do agree with them when they say easier to lip a bass in that area.

I'd appreciate anyone who can chime in with personal experience, or any input for that matter !

Thanks,

~Tony

2. Member
    Just get a boat with a removable one and see which way you like it.
    I took mine out 4 years ago and it probably wont go back in.

If you're fishing with family or friends I would definitely suggest having the console.

4. Member
    Duel console on my Z520C. I ordered it that way with no regrets at all.

My wife and other guys I fish with appreciate it. It's easy to work around and adapt to in my opinion. Would not be without it.

You said you and your son appreciate it. So you want us to tell you to send the money?

Spend the money
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

I use mine for date night with the wife, otherwise its out of the boat. None of my tourney partners want it.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

not wanted here, and i fish in the winter
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Z521 is a very big boat with absolutely tons of front deck space. I don’t see the logic in someone’s saying there is no room for a second console on that boat. Lots of positives to a second console, and little negative, especially on a Z521. Not just for winter, either. Port console glove box is extremely convenient, and gear stowed under the port console, when fishing or just running down the lake, stays more protected from the elements and from tangling with front-deck rods.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

It’s a choice each has to make. For me it adds protection for my wife and or partner. It’s makes no difference with or without in a 21’ Boat. Like said above, bigger the boat the less it takes up space..
    Smaller boat I could see where it would crowd things up a bit, I would choose to have regardless.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

10. Member
    I always like having the second console. I have never seen it interfere with our fishing.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    You said you and your son appreciate it. So you want us to tell you to send the money?

Spend the money
    Appreciate the input guys !
    Maybe I should have been clearer - I'm wondering if theres a benefit to not having one that I am missing. One that possibly outweighs the appreciation that I have for having the console. Boat I am looking at comes with out. Just thinking that I may be able to work one into the financing.

Thanks

~Tony

12. Member
    LOL, I guess looking for a reason to not spend the $$ !

~Tony

if you haven't had the single console experience yet try it, they can add a console later if you absolutely need
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Z521 is a very big boat with absolutely tons of front deck space. I don’t see the logic in someone’s saying there is no room for a second console on that boat. Lots of positives to a second console, and little negative, especially on a Z521. Not just for winter, either. Port console glove box is extremely convenient, and gear stowed under the port console, when fishing or just running down the lake, stays more protected from the elements and from tangling with front-deck rods.
    My boat is nearly 22' and my partners still don't like the second console. The Phoenix already has a passenger glove box with or without the port console in. I think their biggest complaint is when they store their gear under the console there is much less room for their rods. Even without gear under the console there is still less room for rods. Without the console in we have no issue with rods tangling. I think the only way they would reconsider would be if we were making a 40 mile plus run in 30 degree or lower temps. That said my wife absolutely LOVES the second console.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

15. Member
    The only thing I'd add is that I question whether it actually adds to the resale value. I'm just a guy that doesn't want it in the way though.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    My boat is nearly 22' and my partners still don't like the second console. The Phoenix already has a passenger glove box with or without the port console in. I think their biggest complaint is when they store their gear under the console there is much less room for their rods. Even without gear under the console there is still less room for rods. Without the console in we have no issue with rods tangling. I think the only way they would reconsider would be if we were making a 40 mile plus run in 30 degree or lower temps. That said my wife absolutely LOVES the second console.
    Thanks all for the great input , you guys are a big help!

Meleagris, you hit home !! Those ( my son's ) rods are a nuisance at times under the console of my 488 ! Of course he rolls with a minimum of 10 !! Man, if no console will make this better, sounds good !

Fishysam - I think I am agreeing. Thinking that I can possibly get a better deal on the console thru the dealer while negotiating the boat, but it sounds like it might be worth the gamble to just try with out first.

~Tony

17. Member
    If you don’t get one. Whenever you take someone out, always let them drive and you sit unprotected, esp on cold, wet mornings.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    If you don’t get one. Whenever you take someone out, always let them drive and you sit unprotected, esp on cold, wet mornings.
    Lol ! Yeaaahhhh ! Just as soon as I collect the monthly note payment from them !

~Tony

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    So...you’re not very concerned about the passenger’s riding comfort, but you are concerned about them getting 10 rods into the boat? Also, when making a long trip on Erie (or other rough water), the passenger console provides even the driver some extra shelter from the elements. The wind blows from whichever side of the boat it wants.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

20. Member
    I had a dual console once, and when I sold the boat, I think it actually hurt my resale value. They are not very popular in in GA.

I'm surprised that more manufacturers haven't adopted the easily removable design for the pax console. If I were to get a new boat, I would go with one that offers it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast