Z119 Repower Advice

My Ranger Z119/225 Yamaha SHO is in the shop with a potential cracked engine block. I'm starting to look at options for repowering and there are a lot of good deals around on 2017 model year Evinrude G2 200 H.O. engines.

For anyone whos running this hull with a 200 H.O. how does it perform? I loved the way the SHO pushed that boat and i could get about 68 mph with a full tank of gas and tourney load. Top speed isn't as important to me as holeshot and a comfortable cruising RPM as I primarily fish great lakes and its only calm enough to go WOT a couple times a year.

I know not maxing out HP might hurt me in resale, but I have no plans in selling for the next 5+ years and the extra cost for a 225 would be a lot for me right now.

2. Scraps
    Sorry to hear of losing a great engine. Man I would really rethink that 225 if you can find some way to swing it. I almost pulled the trigger on the very same rig with a 200 on it, two years ago, and I still see the boat for sale on different sites. There are always other deals around the corner.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I have a 2014 Z119C with 200 Pro XS. Top speed is 66-67 GPS with full tank, full livewells and heavy tournament load. Hole shot is excellent. I run a 4 blade prop.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I have a 225 G2 on the same hull, and the performance features you emphasize would be excellent with a 200 G2. Like Ranger R93, I had a Z119 with a 200 and it ran a comfortable 66 mph. The G2 has such amazing torque and hole shot that the boat would be a blast to drive, plus it’s always a reassuring thing to have instantaneous throttle response if you ever need to get going really quickly. You are aware that “under” powering can hurt boat value down the road, but this would not be severe under powering. Plus if you get one of those really good warranty deals, with all the other advanced features of the G2, I’m sure you would be very happy. The only thing to make sure of is that the installing dealer is Evinrude G2 certified. This engine is a totally different animal, and when installed by a know-nothing, problems can ensue.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    I do not have that hull, but I can speak to the performance of the 2017 200 HO G2. Not sure which 200 you are thinking of. I'm getting 69 comfortable tournament load 2 people. When she runs faster she really chinewalks. The amazing thing is how quick she gets to 60... I don't thing the smaller 200 will get 70.. The issue you are going to have is the cost of changing all your controls and gages.... Sticking with the SHO might be tough to find. The Merc is sold out too so....
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

6. Member
    Most will tell you if she’s rated for a 225 then repower with the same. It will really hurt your resale if under powered. Good luck on the repower. Post on your experience when you repower.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Most will tell you if she’s rated for a 225 then repower with the same. It will really hurt your resale if under powered. Good luck on the repower. Post on your experience when you repower.
    I ended up going with the 200 H.O. with the 10 year warranty and have got about 10 hours on it. I am very impressed by the results so far. Tested out a few props and hit 69.7 mph with a 3 blade but ended up sticking with a 24P RX4 for now (especially since the rest of the year will be on the great lakes). So far I've run 66 mph with this prop (full tank of gas, two guys and gear) but the hole shot and handling sold it for me. Overall I think I have a better performing boat now than compared to the 225 SHO.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good report. The G2s are really, really good.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    I ended up going with the 200 H.O. with the 10 year warranty and have got about 10 hours on it. I am very impressed by the results so far. Tested out a few props and hit 69.7 mph with a 3 blade but ended up sticking with a 24P RX4 for now (especially since the rest of the year will be on the great lakes). So far I've run 66 mph with this prop (full tank of gas, two guys and gear) but the hole shot and handling sold it for me. Overall I think I have a better performing boat now than compared to the 225 SHO.
    Great report! Enjoy the rest of your season.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post

Glad it all worked out. You will love that engine. 66 is NOTHING to complain about. Out of curiosity what RPMs on those two props? Was the 3 blade a Raker HO 25?
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickyrick View Post
    Glad it all worked out. You will love that engine. 66 is NOTHING to complain about. Out of curiosity what RPMs on those two props? Was the 3 blade a Raker HO 25?
    Yeah the three blade was a 25 Raker, it turned 5950 with that prop. I've only gotten 5400 rpm out of the RX4 so far. I plan on lifting my manual jack plate up half an inch and see what that does, but I just haven't had time to play around with the set up yet.
    Last edited by SteveRo; 10-05-2018 at 09:44 AM.