Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....166&p=9600180#

So which is it, I know there is a lot of talk about having to play with the setting and what settings to use on the other boards.
    If settings are offered, people will want to know how to adjust them - whether that means set and forget, set every trip, or monkey with it every 10 seconds. Note that the last recommendation in that thread was basically "set it and forget it at full chirp" I don't think that that thread really points to constantly needing to adjust HBs. It just shows that they offer options (which may or may not have practical use) to do so, if the user is so inclined.

If you give someone looking for 99.99% performance a million knobs to turn, they'll turn them all, and probably tweak constantly. If you give someone looking for say 90 or 95% performance (pulling numbers from my ass) - they'll hit auto, adjust a setting or 2, be happy if they like what they see, and leave things alone.

My personal, and limited, experience with birds for as long as I recall, has been cumbersome menus, a lot of options with limited usefulness, some that can be useful, and awkward manipulations to do what I want to do (things like switching screens or manipulating overall setup). Raymarine's interface is on another planet for that stuff - also in limited experience but a great first impression. Lowrance is in between -an interface that I can get along with, but less smoothly. I don't see any of them as *requiring* constant babysitting, although in certain cases it doubtless helps (was replaying some Raymarine demo data at Cabelas the other day, and tweaking settings in sidevision away from auto made a substantial difference in visibility and detail of weeds/trees and fish/shadows in this case)

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    What is the pixel count on an Axiom 9?
    800 x 480 unless you step up to pro (or go to the 12)

3. Member
    Display Resolution 800 x 480 WVGA

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    What is the pixel count on an Axiom 9?

4. Member
    Royt - It was never my intention to offend you and I'm pretty sure I have never bashed the competition. I can't speak for the wording of others, but to imply that I'm in any way pushing people away from Raymarine is crazy.

I don't see any one person outfitting a boat with every Brand out there and shooting side-by-side screen shots. Would that be great, yes, but probably won't happen anytime soon. In the past, guys have tried to post as close to side by side as they can and (go figure, Troy) started yapping about the setting not being optimal, blah, blah, blah. It's a no-win situation so continuing to ask the same question (I encourage people to learn) isn't going to change that.

The issue is that all boards are filled with TROLLS. I've been on here since the 1st Raymarine post and Troy was famous for downplaying Raymarine technology, talking about Low Q and a host of other things. A lot of what you posted (especially going into Low Q) is virtually word for word what I'd expect from Troy. Also uncanny that you found the Raymarine forum right around the time Troy was getting banned. Not saying you are Troy, just a weird coincidence.

Add to all of this that I show a screen shot with a bottom composition transition and "International" chimes in that it looks like a "glitch? If that's the case, start fishing the "glitches" because there are clearly fish there.

There are several people on here that I've helped select units, set up units, trouble shoot on the water and on and on. You continue to go back to clarity, clarity, clarity and yes that's important, but let's witch gears...
    * 3-year warranty - hands down Raymarine wins
    * Quad core processor - hands down Raymarine wins on speed
    * LH3 operating system - hands down Raymarine win with intuitive ease of use

Does Raymarine win every category - NO, but we win a lot and again you keep coming back to clarity. Clarity doesn't mean a thing when you get water intrusion and the screen craps out. Clarity doesn't mean a thing when 2-3 years later you add a unit that isn't compatible with your first one.

Instead of going back to clarity, let’s talk ease of use, intuitive feature and durability. All key feature of Marine Electronics that Raymarine doesn’t get credit for – or at least isn’t on this thread.

Again, I apologize for anything that you read into what I typed. My only goal is to help and teach people on here. That’s sometimes hard to do when guys continue to go back to the same (and maybe only) point they make or ask over and over again.

5. Member
    I dont have an Axiom yet, but if it does lack ‘clarity’ compared to other brands it wont matter to me as long as what it does show makes my fishing more productive.

I had a Mega unit. Its side imaging in shallower water was outstanding. Did it translate to more fish caught? Nope.

maybe 'glitch' wasn't the proper word to use. 'anomaly' may have been a better choice. I apologize.

if auto sensitivity was in use for those shots...shouldn't the system have adjusted by turning sensitivity down for those hard bottom situations? Do we know for a fact auto was in use?

7. Member
    I run a 12 Mega si side by side with an A128 on my console. The bird gets the nod for mapping strictly because of lakemaster. Using a navionics chip, I'd have no preference. On side imaging, the bird gets the nod. On down and 2d it's not even close. Raymarine makes a complete ass out of the bird. And I don't have to even adjust it, turn it on and it's awesome right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    I run a 12 Mega si side by side with an A128 on my console. The bird gets the nod for mapping strictly because of lakemaster. Using a navionics chip, I'd have no preference. On side imaging, the bird gets the nod. On down and 2d it's not even close. Raymarine makes a complete ass out of the bird. And I don't have to even adjust it, turn it on and it's awesome right out of the box.
    APS, is there any way that you could post some images of both units?..I don't use either at the present time.

It would be nice to see some images that are larger than most of the previous image posts.

Thanks:::: Isn't Olive Branch where the Jones brothers have a boat manufacturing business?

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

9. Member
    All the pics posted are hard to see the clarity. Pm me your number and I'll text you some. I'm not aware of any boat builders around here. I'm in the fiberglass repair business and do alot of electronics installs also.

Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    All the pics posted are hard to see the clarity. Pm me your number and I'll text you some. I'm not aware of any boat builders around here. I'm in the fiberglass repair business and do alot of electronics installs also.
    I will PM my number..Thanks

I thought the Jones brothers owned and built Polarcraft boats there..

Thanks for the images, APS..I might try to post a couple of them tonight...

12. Member
    I have to agree with Brian on this one. We all can easily see the transition areas easily on most brands if correctly set up. I once had a Lowrance that did the exact same thing where it looked hard then soft then hard Boj I knew exactly where I was and the locator was wrong. The only way to make it correct was in the manual mode in both sensitivity and also to turn off auto depth ranges. Then it would show the true bottom as it was. Long story short, I ended up changing transducers over the winter and it never happened again. I don’t recall if i also updated software in units or not but I think I didn’t, so it was the transducer in my situation. The pics posted early in this thread are exactly as I experienced and although glitch may no be the best description, it was messed up in appeared as incorrect transitions which just didn’t exist. Just as info in case it helps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234