Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    A
    Last edited by Jig34; 08-18-2018 at 05:58 PM.

It does appear to make the fish returns brighter though

3. Member
    Very strange, yes the fish look brighter in those areas.

4. Member
    Guys...
    harder the bottom the stronger the return
    softer the bottom the weaker the return

trust me, the fish aren’t affecting the color of thickness of the bottom.

Those are classic transition areas. Find those and you’ll find fish. Don’t find them and we’ll argue for all eternity which units allow you to count more branches on a tree in 8’ of water 20’ off the port side.

True with bottom composition... But the fish aren’t harder. Bottom hardness should not affect fish returns

6. Member
    Im thinking this may be an advantage for Raymarine

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    True with bottom composition... But the fish aren’t harder. Bottom hardness should not affect fish returns
    The harder the bottom the harder the return thus making the fish show up better.

Take a tennis ball and bounce it on concrete then grass. The ball hasn’t changed but the surface effects how the ball returns!, more energy.

8. Member
    I dont remember seeing it that pronounced on other brands

IMO it’s a glitch not a transition area

10. Member
    why a glitch?

11. Member
    I looked back at some of my screen shots and some have it and some don’t. Seems related to the density of the targets. May be related to Chirp. I have noticed that the Axiom show fish on Sonar much bigger than my old HDS-8.

12. Member
    Keep thinking what you want.

Guys, I’m not making this stuff up. Harder bottom results in a stronger return. If that make the fish look brighter, then so be it. If you think it’s a glitch and something else is better, that’s fine.

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    IMO it’s a glitch not a transition area

13. Member
    I knows these aren’t Raymarine, but SONAR is SONAR and BOTTOM is BOTTOM. If you don’t buy it, that’s fine, my catch rate says otherwise.

https://scout.com/outdoors/bass-fishing/Article/How-to-Use-Sonar-to-Find-Hard-Bottoms-105346842/

https://doctorsonar.com/blogs/educat...to-sensitivity

14. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Whats this AUTO they are talking about

"I use Auto-sensitivity on my Humminbird and Lowrance models almost always. It works so well we never notice when it adjusts. Auto-Sensitivity mainly adjusts for depth. We need a higher sensitivity in deeper water since the sound that returns as you go deeper becomes weaker. A manual setting of sensitivity for 10 feet to get the optimal image would not show fish at 100 feet and this is where Auto-Sensitivity shines."

There use to be a Pro on here that said No unit had auto. Im So confused.

"so you're saying that you never change your sensitivity, pallet, contrast or anything. you should never leave any unit in full auto. there is no such thing as manual mode or auto mode. as far as i know there is no unit that offers an auto setting for these settings."

Well he thought he was a Pro!!!
    Guess it don't matter, He's Gone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jig34 View Post
    I knows these aren’t Raymarine, but SONAR is SONAR and BOTTOM is BOTTOM. If you don’t buy it, that’s fine, my catch rate says otherwise.

https://scout.com/outdoors/bass-fishing/Article/How-to-Use-Sonar-to-Find-Hard-Bottoms-105346842/

https://doctorsonar.com/blogs/educat...to-sensitivity
    I don't think you get what we are talking about. yes those screen shots show bottom composition changes. they also do not show the strange artifacts with the fish returns that those raymarine screen shots do.

16. Member
    Strange artifacts?
    Glitch?

it's different, that's for sure. I've never seen anything to that degree on any other unit.

18. Member
    To me it looks a lot like an auto adjustment as mentioned in the Dr sonar article.

Also - I had a chance to press a few more buttons on the axiom on Friday, and to my eye the (demo mode);sidevision picked up an awful lot of bottom detail (and fish shadows which seem mildly controversial around here) if you turn the gain down. If you turn it up you can count twigs more easily.

It seems to me like theres room to tweal palette options, add some image tweaking, local gain, or something like a local contrast enhancement ("clarity" in a lot of photo programs, or a large -40ish pixel- radius unsharp mask) as a new feature. Or more refined gamma/LUT adjustments (while keeping the superior simple operation)

The auto default was giving a nice clear image but washing out some detail (that the unit is clearly detecting). It was a 10 second tweak to see more- super quick and easy.

Maybe the increased palette selections on newer releases help. This demo unit had 3.1. Jig34 especially with so many tweaks added post-release, it'd be great if you could get your retailers to update their units!

19. Member
    Always better to stay relevant with posts... I’ll give you “glitch” as a valid question, but questioning the response and then referring to “artifacts” is a little “Trollish” fit you 20th post.

Also, I’d like to point out that the suspended fish in this image are spread out over both hard and soft bottom. Once again showing that the transition is holding fish - the fish aren’t affecting bottom color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast