Traverse city area mid October?

How’s the smallie fishing in mid October in Traverse City area? Lodging? Restaurants? Tackle shops?
    Appreciate any help! Thanks!

2. Member
    The only thing that won't be great in that list is tackle shops, few and far between up here.

The fishing, lodging and food is extremely tough to beat. The biggest thing, which everyone will tell you, is the weather. It could be 60's and unreal fishing, it could also be snowing and blowing 25. It's just a chance you take up here.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    The only thing that won't be great in that list is tackle shops, few and far between up here.

The fishing, lodging and food is extremely tough to beat. The biggest thing, which everyone will tell you, is the weather. It could be 60's and unreal fishing, it could also be snowing and blowing 25. It's just a chance you take up here.
    Thanks for the feedback!

School Master is spot on! I'm headed to that area in a couple weeks. We'll see how the weather plays out then. Fishing is better in October.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass201 View Post
    School Master is spot on! I'm headed to that area in a couple weeks. We'll see how the weather plays out then. Fishing is better in October.
    Cool!

6. Member
    I'm going to be in Youngs state park October 11, 12, 13...I'll be bouncing around between Charlevoix, Walloon and the bay depending on the weather...Can't wait..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I'm going to be in Youngs state park October 11, 12, 13...I'll be bouncing around between Charlevoix, Walloon and the bay depending on the weather...Can't wait..
    I would be going up the next weekend. Good luck!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscubs1 View Post
    I would be going up the next weekend. Good luck!
    Thx...I'll let you know how I do..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

9. Member
    I have been looking for places to stay in the area and they seem pricey! Anyone know of some cheap, clean and boater friendly places?

10. Member
    Traverse city is always expensive for lodging. Maybe look for places in the surrounding area like kalkaska.

You won't be disappointed with Walloon. There are lot of nice bass in that lake. We caught quite a few this spring when we did our videos. Weather didn't play nice for Charlevoix. Hopefully it will be better this next month when I'm there.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Traverse city is always expensive for lodging. Maybe look for places in the surrounding area like kalkaska.
    That's why I camp....I just throw a little ceramic heater in the back of the truck and I am good to go...Your looking at over 200 bucks a night for anything between Charlevoix and Traverse city.....I also enjoy sitting by the fire at night in the fall and spring..
    Zinn

vrbo may be your best bet for lodging. Usually good off season rates. Hotels fill up in oct for wine tours and fall leaves (gag). Fishing gets better every week from now until it freezes. Was on walloon last weekend for the first time and caught about 40 in 2 3hr trips. Was a good time. Heading up to torch for the day tomorrow.

Restaurants - pearls in Elk Rapids for brunch or dinner if you're not fishing is awesome. Barrel Back in walloon. Shorts Brewery/Taphouse in Belleaire. Blue Tractor (BBQ) in downtown TC. The Dockside on torch is also a good spot to pull in for lunch if you're on the water.

14. Member
    x2 on pearls in elk rapids. Lots of lakes to choose from, wind can sometimes limit your choices to the small bodies of water but thats the beauty of that area in the fall, no matter the weather there's a lake you can hit

15. Member
    Thanks guys for the feed back!! I am gonna look at VRBO. My lake master map cards work for up there! The lakes look really deep.