1998 200 EFI Problems

My '98 200 EFI is a replacement powerhead for an '02 XR6 that the oil injection failed on. The 200 powerhead has had about 30 gallons of fuel though it. All was fine until it sat up for approximately 6 months. I had Starbrite fuel stabilzer in it.

Trouble first started with a rough and stalling idle. It also would not get on plane. A local Mercury mechanic diagnosed and changed the trigger. Next trip it started and idled great but would occasionally just die at low speed, eventually not starting at all leaving me stranded.

Mechanic diagnosed and replaced the stator. I took it out again only to find it would not get above 3000 rpm or get on plane. After a few weeks of troubleshooting since he couldn't figire it out, the mechanic determined that voltage regulator had damaged the new stator. It was replaced under warranty.

Now $1500 later with a new trigger, stator and voltage regulators the motor starts and idles fine. But the engine is now bogging when trying to get on plane. If I place into neutral and slightly race the motor to clear it up prior to take off, it will get on plane. When running at 3000-3500 rpm, the engine will begin to sputter and may even die. At WOT the motor runs fairly clean but still not what it once was.

My next step? I have drained all fuel and will refuel and test once again, work and weather permitting.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a few moments to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to update your thread with the Required Information. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Switchboxes?

4. Member
    Sorry about just getting back but I had to fish despite still having issues. I will be taking it to another mechanic this week.

5. Member
    I'd,check,for,clogged fuel lines as mine,was bogging at takeoffs and anything over 3,000'rpm,,,,mauled fuel lines off engine between fuel filters and VST and Imcouldnt even blow through them due to ethanol eating them up,mcausimg swellingmfrom the inside,out...replace them all if you haven't already,,,,

See if you can find another ECU to try. Seems these older EFI motors are hitting the shelf life of the ECU. Pretty simple to swap out and you may be amazed how your motor comes alive.

I would take back to mechanic and describe that its better, but not what you are expecting.

Could be that new parts are exaggerating an issue that was always there. Could be timing not set right, needs link n sync, tps adjustment...
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298