2. Member
    Makes you stop and think.
    Hi Mike.

3. Member
    so true! I travel for work and it really adds up how much you miss out trying to keep a roof over your families head.

4. Member
    Great article! Definitely the big ones. Thanks for posting that. I needed it! I lost a coworker yesterday afternoon of a heart attack. 17 years we worked side by side.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

5. Member

Good article.
    RANGER BOATS

6. Member
    Great article.. Thanks for sharing

21 XD 225 Merc

so true but he chose to make a living at fishing.

8. Member
    Something ive always found odd with him is no where in any video have I seen his kids. He really doesnt even mention them. Has mentioned having grand kids but even in all his social media posts I cant remember the first hint.

Maybe I just missed it. Or maybe they just have no desire to be on camera.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Something ive always found odd with him is no where in any video have I seen his kids. He really doesnt even mention them. Has mentioned having grand kids but even in all his social media posts I cant remember the first hint.

Maybe I just missed it. Or maybe they just have no desire to be on camera.
    they are just SHY like dad !!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    I did not take it that he is complaining. I took it more like some straight talk to guys coming up wanting to fish the Elites and what it takes from a personal standpoint. Also took it as a man getting older and looking back and realizing what he's missed.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I did not take it that he is complaining. I took it more like some straight talk to guys coming up wanting to fish the Elites and what it takes from a personal standpoint. Also took it as a man getting older and looking back and realizing what he's missed.
    On point, as usual Mark.

My entire adult working life has been spent on the road, basically 9 months/year. I have missed the birthdays, graduation ceremonies, sports events, the birth of all but one of my (6) grandchildren, and every single holiday more than once. I am not complaining, as it's the life that I chose, (maybe it chose me). I think about it quite often myself.

My oldest son is a union painter in SC, recently, he was laid off. The union said they had him lined up for a 3 year project in FL. When he spoke to me about it, I said, man, the money can be good on the road, per diem can be spent wisely, and add up rather quickly but, I'm telling you now it's really not worth it when you look back. You can never undo missing your kids birthday, or wedding anniversary. He toughed out the hard time, and ended up with an opportunity much closer to his home that has the potential to take him through retirement age.

I realize my situation, and that of most that travel extensively for work is a little different in that we're not "chasing a dream", rather, we are just putting a roof over our families head.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

13. Member
    I’ve never understood how our field service guys and field engineers do it

most get burned out in 4-5 years. Some do it for 30

i gave up $30k/yr and a sales job so I could be home. Money is money - nothing else. . Luckily I’m engineer so I can sit at a desk and make good money.

I heard MLF format is better for home life - interesting timing for the article......��

True addiction to tournament bass fishing causes a lot of guys to lose their minds in a lot of ways...I had it bad in my 30's and 40's. I'm kinda glad I'm not as mad at em as I used to be.

15. Member
    We just had that conversation at work yesterday. I have 29 years working in prisons that are pretty much under staffed all the time. Until I worked my way into a non uniformed position I missed alot of holidays and significant events in my family's life.I have even had my kids mention how great it is that I am there for my grand kids when I had missed alot of their stuff.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    I’ve never understood how our field service guys and field engineers do it

most get burned out in 4-5 years. Some do it for 30

i gave up $30k/yr and a sales job so I could be home. Money is money - nothing else. . Luckily I’m engineer so I can sit at a desk and make good money.

I heard MLF format is better for home life - interesting timing for the article......��
    One thing ive always wondered is why the anglers didnt all get together and lobby for less or no practice. Would take a bunch of away time and give it back to the anglers.

But im guessing thats part of the sales pitch the tours use when approaching a town about a potential event.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Its kind of cool to see how he's changed his outlook on things. You obviously listen to the PMA seminar he gives but if you go back and watch tournaments from 04-05 time frame and then watch him fish now its like a 180. I watched that tournament from i think 05 when he and Zell got into it over a bridge. You don't see that in him much now.

Before someone says its an act. That was back when ESPN was picking up things and starting to make stars out of these guys in the fishing world and pushing the personalities.

18. Member
    A good reason to think of and thank our guys and gals in the military. They really miss a lot of very important events, ie., all of those mentioned above plus birth of a child, funerals of loved ones etc.

19. Member
    A guy I worked with years ago told me something prophetic. He said if you don't stop working all them weekends for OT your going to come home one day and your daughter will call you uncle daddy. Took about 2 years and it happened. Being away from home so much eventually eroded my marriage or at least was a big contributor to my divorce.