Thread: Straightening

Straightening

Any of you done and corrected this? I bent my trailer about 2 inches from center on the left side, which has caused my boat to not ride on the center bow roller. I don't have pics yet, but will soon. The bent area is part of the frame only. Any suggestions?
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

More info as to exact piece or pieces that are bent and pictures would help.
    But first off the rollers are for centering and keeping the keel from hitting frame while loading.. They should not be in contact once loaded and road ready.

3. Member
    I have a similar problem. I have a Ranger and they say don’t straighten. My deal says don’t and he is not aware of anyone that will. Including semi repair places but some here have suggested they will. Taking mine to a different Ranger dealer for an insurance estimate and we will see what they say. I also called an auto frame shop and they don’t work on them.

My trailer rubbed against a concrete post at a gas station. About 18” of lateral contact and maybe 1/4” dent of that much in the frame rail. Impact is about 2 foot in front of left fender. Boat loads cock eyed to the right and the front axel is offset from the back by about an inch to the right. Hit it at a whopping 2 mph and got off the spot almost immediately. Go figure.

there used to be sevral frame shops in my area that would work on trailers.
    IMO there's not enough $$ involved for them to do it anymore.

5. Member
    I had mine done at a tractor trailer shop. It was bent worse than yours I'm thinking. It was off three inches from center and twisted so bow roller was off 8 inches. Came out very well. Tire wear has been minimal. Just put on new tires, old ones had around 5k on them. Insurance paid the bill. Ranger said not to but I couldn't see paying 8k for a new trailer.

6. Member
    My Stratos bow rides perfectly in the bow roller, always has, always will.

In case of confusion - let me clarify my remark in post #2.
    The boat should rest on the bow stop or (roller if so equipped)..
    But should not be in contact with rear or "center roller" when being hauled on a trailer equipped with bunk boards.

8. Member
    I bought a used/bent trailer. I pulled a string down the center line square with the axles. I used some blocking and the heavy duty winch on my uncles car trailer. It took a little bit of time easing it back in line, but got everything back square. Also most body shops have a frame machine that can do it if you remove the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bassin365 View Post
    I bought a used/bent trailer. I pulled a string down the center line square with the axles. I used some blocking and the heavy duty winch on my uncles car trailer. It took a little bit of time easing it back in line, but got everything back square. Also most body shops have a frame machine that can do it if you remove the boat.
    Has this method weakened the frame? Any additional problems since the fix?
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    Has this method weakened the frame? Any additional problems since the fix?
    Nope none what so ever. It pulls straight, no weird tire wear or bearing issues. I've been using it for 3 years now.

Thanks for some ideas. I decided to take it a local guy and weld it. Turned out great, dropped off early Saturday and back home yesterday.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Body shop with a frame machine---- piece of cake for them. I backed into a fence post years ago ( in the dark) bent the rear step pretty good. Took it down to the shop, chained a pulling post to the floor and used a power pull on it. came out almost like new--- didn't eve have to paint it.