Yamaha SHO read outs on a helix mega

I just got a new boat with a 250 SHO yammie and got the helix mega 12. Is there a way to have engine read outs on the helix from the motor? Thanks :)

2. Member
    You should be able to.
    The SHO will need the nmea2000 yamaha engine interface cable. That cable will then connect to a nmea2000 backbone network (you can buy the nmea2000 starter kit).
    Then you will need the humminbird nmea2000 black box (humminbird 408390-1) so that your mega 12 or hub can connect to this network.

3. Member
    I wouldn't recommend it, lots of annoying popups on the Helix when you turn on/off the engine etc and hard to customize the NMEA views.

You're better off going with an NMEA backbone then installing a dedicated gauge like the LMF400.

The best feature of the NMEA2k linked to the Yamaha, in my opinion, is fuel management. Need to connect GPS to the nmea for that.
    You'll pull your hair out trying to backfeed 0183 gps from the helix into the nmea2k, and once you do, all the gps data may not show up.
    Best to add a point 1 to the nmea2k, connect your motor with the lowrance cable.

Aside from everything, Helix screen real estate is too valuable to clog up with engine dashboard info.

In my opinion, the only good thing about connecting the motor to the Helix is it keeps tally on fuel used from fuel flow(you manually reset it after you fill up) and being able to see engine hours.

Just my own personal experience and opinion.

Cheers,
    Scott
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

4. Member
    Ok thanks Guys. I was really only concerned about the engine hours . So i think i will scrap the helix idea.

5. Member
    I agree with the above. Helix is a pain with NMEA gauges. It does not save the devices. Everytime you boot up the Helix you have to reselect the devices. I had fuels tanks and the engine. The LMF gauge is a good option.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

I agree that it is a PITA, but I do not have to reselect the data displayed on the Gauge View each time I turn the unit back on. I do not have data in the Data Boxes, mostly because I have not figured out how to do that yet. I have the gauge view on a preset button on the Helix 10 Mega SI and can get RPM, oil pressure, fuel burn rate (gph), water pressure (after adding the sender), engine temperature. The pop up for lost engine source when I turn the key off is not a big deal to get rid of, though it is annoying.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Midnight rider - you can get RPM, oil pressure, fuel burn rate (gph), water pressure (after adding the sender), engine temperature?

currently I just get RPMs on my Helix with the black box. I need to check the back of my SHO to see if I need the water pressure sensor nmea. So you are saying that if I have that sensor I will be able to get all listed above?

Thanks
    Chris Hoffman
    Londonderry, NH

2022 SKEETER FXR20 APEX w/ 250hp SHO
    1x APEX 13 MSI+, 1x Solix 12 chirp MSI+ G3, 1x Solix 15 chirp MSI+ G3. AS GPS HS, Mega 360 Imaging. MK Ultrex MDI w/ iPilot link, MegaLive with Targetlock and 8’ MK
    Raptors and Ionic Lithium Batteries

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>.·´¯`·. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸. ·´ ¯`·...><(((º>