'04 521VX Blinker Trim Install

Had a Hot Foot installed in my Ranger, so of course I had to have blinker trim also. Decided to tackle the blinker switches myself and save myself a couple hundred bucks. Got the confidence to do it from reading threads on BBC. You guys are great! Anyway, the hardest part for me was determining which wires controlled the tilt/trim. The diagram in the boat showed an Orange (common/power), Blue (Up), and Green (Down). Searched under the console for ages and still haven't found an orange wire! Ended up taking apart the throttle handle and discovered the wire colors were: Red/White Stripe, Blue/White Stripe, and Green/White Stripe. Got back under the console and saw them immediately. Tested the wiring to insure I had identified the correct wires by using an ohmmeter and working the trim switch on the throttle. I spliced the blinker switch wiring into the trim wiring by using solder, then coating the solder joint with liquid electrical tape and then covering that with heat shrink. I spliced the jack plate wiring using the same method (the jack plate wiring was easy to identify as the switch was right next to the steering wheel). The blinker trim switches came with assorted screws to cover most if not all of the different types of helms. I have a Hydraulic system so the switch mounts to the helm with the three screws that hold the hydraulic fluid seal around the steering wheel shaft. There were 3 slightly longer screws in the package to make up for the thickness of the mounting plate on the switch. I also had to drill two 3/8" holes on either side of the helm to route the wiring harnesses through. I have attached pictures to try to help anyone else that may want to tackle this install. If you have even a small amount of mechanical ability you can do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    A little Blue Loctite might be a worthwhile addition on those screw threads. If they were to loosen things could go bad. Otherwise, you proceeded on a measured methodical method and it worked.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    A little Blue Loctite might be a worthwhile addition on those screw threads. If they were to loosen things could go bad. Otherwise, you proceeded on a measured methodical method and it worked.
    Absolutely! Good idea! Thanks!

5. Member
    Hey I can’t tell from your photo but did you splice only the blue and green wires or did you splice the red as well? Very helpful post! I have the exact boat. Thanks!