The case for Abu Garcia: Earning this customer for life

I can be a tough critic. But that also means (in my mind at least) I can recognize excellence when I see it. I also find it important to be a vocal advocate for those companies that care about their customers.

With that, I am blown away by the consistent excellent customer service I receive at Abu Garcia.

Last season I picked up two Premier gen 3 reels. One of them lacked the smoothness of the other and made a grinding noise upon the retrieve, so I sent it in.

Upon receiving the reel, they called me to discuss the issue and walked through the options. After discussing it and further inspection they agreed to send me a new gen 4 reel on it’s release date. Before long I was fishing with one of the first gen 4‘s available.

Fast forward to last month when I casted my other gen 3 reel to find that it wouldn’t retrieve. Being outside of the warranty I worried that the reel might see an early retirement.

This past Friday I put the broken reel in the mail to Spirit Lake, Iowa with a note to call me with an estimate for repair.

Tonight, less than a week later, I found a box waiting for me at home. Inside was my reel all cleaned up, repaired, and smoother than when it was new.

It would have been so easy for them to just ask me to pay up for the repair and clean/lube.

Apparently Abu understands that there are so many choices and every contact with the customer is an opportunity.

Congratulations and hats off to Abu for earning the right to their saymark “Abu Garcia for Life”.
    Last edited by BoilermakerRT178; 08-16-2018 at 11:29 PM.

2. Member

3. Member
    Same here. When they first came out with the SX I bought 2 of them can’t remember what problem was but they replaced them both with the STX. I’ve been a loyal customer since own 11 Abu now 2 of them MGXtreme2. Awesome reels.

4. Member
    Awesome customer service but you’d think for $250 a reel you’d have two reels that lasted over a season.

Revos are the only thing that have ever he's up for me... Of the 15 or so I keep going back to the gen 1 models, only ever had to replace one worm gear... I've gotten my money's worth..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Member
    They are my go to reel out of 20 ,I own,Very pleased with them.

Love to hear stories about good customer service ,sad that it's a thing that is not easily found these days

8. Member
    I had problems with a gene Stx...sent it in and I had a new one two days later, had the same issue with the second one, sent it back for another brand new one 2 days later...it was flawless foe 2 months until it threw itself out of my boat with the loomis gl2 it was on...Abu didn't replace thay one lol

Thier customer service is exellent though
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

I use 2 gen 1 Revo S reels I bought new. The reliability and ease of use of those reels reminds me of the old Garcia round reels. Great reels!

Love my Gen 2 Premiers.

" Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. Banned
    Got a couple of gen 1 revos,still going ,and they have been used a lot and in the salt too,wore a few out. Only failure is the level wind pawl,bought a bunch of replacements on line,they also fit my pro qualifiers.

13. Member
    Love my Abu reels. I just tested and reviewed the Revo SX gen4 and what a nice reel for the price point. Even the Black Max and Pro Max are great reels for their price point. Abu Garcia for life!

14. Member
    Yessir. I have all 4 generations of the Revo in my locker. Just keep worm gears, pawls and grease handy in the boat. Over the past 10 years that's all that needed changing.

15. Member
    And that's why I use Quantum, they fixed a spinning reel for me that was years out of warranty at no charge and had it back to me in a couple of days. Customer Service after the sale!

16. Member
    Those are the kinds of things that keep customers coming back. It's kind of like I said about deer feeders once: It isn't a matter of if something goes wrong; more of when it will. (They all seem to) Then it becomes an issue of what happens next. A company can either fix/replace the product either cheap or free or they can tell you to just buy a new one. I'm going to try to stick with the ones with customer service.

17. Member
    Had similar results as OP and thought I was just special. Oh well...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    And that's why I use Quantum, they fixed a spinning reel for me that was years out of warranty at no charge and had it back to me in a couple of days. Customer Service after the sale!
    Ive had good luck with Quantum as well. Bought a reel at a flea market which was missing the spool tension knob. Called and just expected to pay XX for whatever part. They sent it free.