Trailer Title for Boat?

Trying to register a trailer I’ve swapped under my boat recently and they claim I need the old registration papers out of Texas. I can’t even remember his name from who I got to provide me with this. Is there any other way to get this done legally and without much hassle??

2. Member
    My local Sherrifs department ( St. Charles Parish )came to my house and filled out a trailer inspection form after checking serial numbers on trailer. Gave me the paper which I brought to ABC title company. I paid my fees received a license plate. My trailer was from mississippi and was never registered. DMV gave me the same song and dance when I first tried to do it through them but on my way home I stopped at ABC title and they told me about the Sherrifs department doing so I made the call and they sent someone out.

I'm having trouble right now with a trailer i bought from Georgia. Guy says he never had registration on it so Louisiana can't register it without any paperwork.
    James Simmons (985)870-0201
    Stanford Baits Pro Staff Gambler Lures Pro staff Vector Hooks Pro staff Enigma rods pro staff
    P-line Pro Staff. Amphibia Eyegear Pro staff TH Marine Pro staff
    Woo!Tungsten Pro Staff Hoo-rag Pro Staff Sublime Wear Pro staff Crusher Lures Pro staff

4. Member
    James if you can call the trailer mfg and get them to send you an mso with your name on it that will work.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

5. Member
    Or if the owner has the original mso
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

6. Banned
    I had the same deal with one out of Florida. Never registered, never titled, no paper trail whatsoever. Took it to Troup A and told the desk guy I have a boat trailer out here with no paper work so either arrest me or hook me up, lol. He checked it out, stamped me some numbers and now I have a homemade trailer with a title, registration and lifetime plate

Quote Originally Posted by SUSHII View Post
    Or if the owner has the original mso
    Im trying to get the guy find the paperwork. He’s not being very cooperative
    James Simmons (985)870-0201
    Stanford Baits Pro Staff Gambler Lures Pro staff Vector Hooks Pro staff Enigma rods pro staff
    P-line Pro Staff. Amphibia Eyegear Pro staff TH Marine Pro staff
    Woo!Tungsten Pro Staff Hoo-rag Pro Staff Sublime Wear Pro staff Crusher Lures Pro staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ugabassangler View Post
    I'm having trouble right now with a trailer i bought from Georgia. Guy says he never had registration on it so Louisiana can't register it without any paperwork.
    Georgia does not title trailers. Call the State Troopers office and someone will have to inspect it then give you the documents you need.

9. Member
    State Troopers Office will help you out. Had a similar issue with a trailer from Mississippi.

10. Member
    yes, go to the trooper office. They will inspect it and give you some paper work. Take that to the DMV and get it registered and a plate

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrooster View Post
    I had the same deal with one out of Florida. Never registered, never titled, no paper trail whatsoever. Took it to Troup A and told the desk guy I have a boat trailer out here with no paper work so either arrest me or hook me up, lol. He checked it out, stamped me some numbers and now I have a homemade trailer with a title, registration and lifetime plate
    How's that work out? My understanding was that there's no Lifetime tag for boat trailers, or is this something you were able to do because your trailer is now classified as a "homemade" instead of a boat trailer?

12. Member
    I've got a similar issue - bought boat/trailer out of Mississippi, owner couldn't find the trailer registration, but had a LEO run the plates and shoot me the result showing that he is the owner, and what the Vin # is. Problem is that the trailer vin was a printed sticker which faded to white years ago. (common issue with EZ loader trailers).

Mississippi had him make up a Vin when he registered it last and issued him plates. I put that VIN# on my bill of sale. While I've been waiting on him to find his paperwork, I called EZ loader and they had me find a 5-digit code stamped in the frame - turns out that's the last 5 of the original VIN, which they gave me over the phone, but they can't provide me a MSO or replacement VIN tag.

Coincidentally, the seller texted me while I was typing this up said he was picking up a copy of the registration today, so there's one less thing to worry about. I wonder if I can sweet talk the DMV into updating the VIN back to match the original VIN that matches the 5-digit code stamped in the frame?

13. Member
    I got a trailer from Mississippi and if you have a notorized bill of sale for the trailer. The state troopers will inspect it and give you some paper work to get it registered. Call your local state troopers office and they should be able to help you out

My trailer had label on that you couldn't read. so i had no numbers on the trailer.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    How's that work out? My understanding was that there's no Lifetime tag for boat trailers, or is this something you were able to do because your trailer is now classified as a "homemade" instead of a boat trailer?
    You absolutely can get a lifetime plate on a boat trailer. I've done it many times.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

15. Member
    I have a lifetime plate on my 2017 boatmate trailer.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    You absolutely can get a lifetime plate on a boat trailer. I've done it many times.
    Awesome then - wish I could transfer the plates from old boat to new boat, or to other owners. Thought that was how they worked when I put one on my utility trailer, to find out they don't work that way, at least on utility trailers.