Rod/Reel set ups

I have been one that just slaps a reel on a rod and go fish.
    Never really worried about gear ratios or rod lengths.
    Now I am trying to up my game. Trying to match up the
    reel to the proper rod for different presentations.
    Looking for advise and maybe how you guys have your
    equipment set up.
    Thanks in advance

2. Member
    I dont pay attention to what a rod is labeled to be used for. I look at length and action more than anything. So for example my labeled spinnerbait rod I used for other moving baits with big single hooks on it, like chatterbaits and swim jigs. The rod is a 6ft 10 medium heavy and has the perfect action to use those baits for. Same with my 7ft 4 medium heavy worm and jig rod. I also use it for flukes, senkos , Carolina rigs because it has the length for long casts but has plenty of power to get a solid hookset at the end of a cast as well. So dont get in your mind just because a rod is labeled for one specific bait that it can only be used for that. Length and action I think are more important.

3. Member
    You'll get all kinds of posts on others expensive rods and reels here. Personally I've settled on all one piece 7 foot rods except one but I realize mine are a little on the light side, because I'm pretty old and I get more distance out of a fast action. I use both spinning and baitcasting, all my baitcasting reels are 7.1:1 ratio.
    Fishing can be as complicated as you want to make it. There's rod length and action, reel speed and style, line makeup material and strength and a plethora of other variables.
    Should be an interesting post.

4. Member
    Very interested in this thread as I am in the process of upgrading rods. I was thinking something like this:

7’2”-7’4” MH for c-rig, t-rig, football jig and flutter spoon.
    7’10”-8’ MH glass cranking rod
    6’8”-6’10” M for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits

5. Member
    So far I have my spinning set ups
    7 ft Medium / Fast - Kind of a multi purpose set up
    7-03 Med/Hvy / Fast - jigs/plastics ??

Working on the casting setups now

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by copperbanjo View Post
    So far I have my spinning set ups
    7 ft Medium / Fast - Kind of a multi purpose set up
    7-03 Med/Hvy / Fast - jigs/plastics ??

Working on the casting setups now
    As far as reel speed of baitcasters, I've always found I can slow down but it's harder to speed up when cranking.

7. Member
    It's a progressive process. The longer you fish the more baits you will learn. The more baits you learn the more specialized your tackle becomes. I have cycled through over 70 rods in 30 years. I have about half that many now to pick from. I primarily fish club tournaments so I rig all my rods with reels for every tournament. Eventually you get combos that stay together. I have to document which reel goes with which rod because I store my reels separate in the winter months.

To simplify start off with a rod that will handle multiple similar baits. Then expand if you feel the need to. I put more emphasis on the rod then the reels. The reels I am not very fussy about. I don't ever recall missing a fish because of a reel. The wrong rod for a particular bait has ruined my day of fishing that bait many times. If I flipped a lot I would be fussy about that reel. Most every thing else I get by with what ever reel I have available.

8. #FRB
    I just do what feels right. 7:1 reels on soft plastic rods. 6:1 on moving baits that you want to move somewhat fast. 5:1 on stuff I want to make sure I don't crank too fast. None of my rods are bait specific. Most are medium and medium heavy and if I decide to pull a deep diver with the rod I normally throw spinnerbaits on and then decide to throw a spinnerbait it's not the end of the world to tie a spinnerbait on a similar action rod that's not already rigged and part of the pattern. My biggest mistake has been buying 7:1 reels. 6:1 is a happy gear ratio for me and combo selection would be a lot less complicated if I didn't have to take reel speed into consideration when rigging up. I'm not one to get rid of a rod or reel if it feels good in my hand so I tolerate my purchase mistakes if it's a quality product and feels good in my small hands.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.