ranger 620 vs lids

hello all I am restoring a 2000 ranger 620vs and the guy I got it from had started redoing the boat he cut all the revits off the lids . anyway I was wondering what size rivits should I use when I recarpet the lids and re install the hinges or should I use flat screws.. also since this boat has sat out for years. im wondering if I can recover the lids with resin to help strengthen them up some and make the glue stick better
    and how oi get the utrivits out ince he cut through them between the hinges and lid..
    Hoosier Heartland Guide Service
    William Bennett
    219-201-6123 or 574-457-3879
    http://www.indianamuskieguide.com

http://www.muskylink.com/profile/williambennett

2. Member
    Possible options to try...
    1) Use a 1/4 inch drill bit and drill through the top of the rivet. Then using a punch, knock out the rivet piece still in the lid.
    2) Use a normal wood chisel and hammer. If the rivet is aluminum you can simply cut through the aluminum rivet head with 4 or five taps of the hammer.

Additional note: I'm finishing up replacing the carpet on my 1994 Ranger 1994 482 VS. I had the same issue with the rivets. Some I could drill the head of the rivet with with a 1/4 drill bit. But sometimes the rivet would just spin. That's when I would use the wood chisel. Take your time and you will be surprised how fast you can remove the rivets once you get a process that works.

Good luck,
    CrusinArnd
    CrusinArnd
    1994 Ranger 482VS
    1993 Merc 175
    Call it the Puddle Jumper....

3. Member
    I am putting new carpet in my Ranger 365. I found that stainless bolts, nuts, and washers are working out better than new rivets. I am using #10-24 x 1/2 in. Good luck.

im wondering if I can recover the lids with resin to help strengthen them up some and make the glue stick better
    Sort of two separate issues. Prepping the existing lid surfaces properly should make glue stick properly (remove all existing carpet, and glue as possible). No additional resin needed for that.
    If the lids are cracked, then they'd need structural repair to strengthen them. Vinyl-ester or epoxy resin (for ultimate strength) and a layer or two of fiberglass cloth would stiffen them up considerably.

If they are in really bad shape, perhaps Ranger can make you new ones...?