Negatives of a trolling motor that’s too long

My 18 foot pro craft fish and ski has a 43 pound trolling motor. I am looking at getting a Minnkota Maxxum 70lb. One year old. Only used a few times. $450. The only problem is it is 52 inch shaft. I know the height is adjustable so what would the negatives of having a trolling motor that is a bit too long be?

2. Member
    Only issues are, it'll take more space when stowed(blocking view/in the way) and it sticking out a bit if you are in shallow water (getting in way of casting/flipping). They are not that bad for negatives. Longer and more power is always better for trolling motors imo.

3. Member
    If you were closer I would sell you my 45" Maxxum 70 and you wouldn't have to worry.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

4. Member
    It can block your rod locker when stowed. This can be a pain if you have to deploy every time you want to get a rod out of the locker especially when trailered. Also it can stick out over the gunwale of the boat possibly catching dock pilings etc. The other reasons mentioned above. If it were me I'd size it appropriately but won't harm anything either way.

5. Member
    I had a 45" on my 18'9" and when upgrading to the Ultrex went with the 52" I had a problem with the prop popping out of the water when I had big waves. (Damn wake boarders)

Only issue for me is it is a bit deep when going in shallow but I mean real shallow like less than 2'.

6. Member
    Cover might not fit.

7. Member
    I would make sure that when it's as low in the water as it will go, it will still stow properly on deck. I once had one that appeared to be a 52 shaft on a 45 bow mount, therefore the head wwould barely catch when stowed, unless i raised the shaft before stowwing.. came that way out of the box.