Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

Blow it out Your Nose...>>Sinus Rinse / Nose Blaster-Who?

I always have some kind of mild nose irritation or a runny nose etc. I finally went on eBay and bought the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit. I got 2 plastic squeese bottles and 250 Saline solutionpackets. I used it last night and just now and ....W O W, what a great feeling blasting 8 ozes of warm salt water up one nostril and out the other nostril. I think it even opens my ears. Does anyone else use these and what are your experiences ?

I use that very thing in the Spring when the pollen is real bad. It's weird the first time you use it, but I feel a lot better when it's all flushed out.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    I use the same Rinse kit love it. It was recommended to me by my ENT doc and has helped a lot during allergy season. One thing i noticed is it works better with distilled water less contamination and irritants. I also sterilize mine every few uses in the microwave, dry it out and microwave on high for 90 seconds.

4. Member
    Been using a Neti pot (occasionally) for years. I don't see the need to force it in there and I'd want to look into possible risks before doing so. The Neti works great for certain conditions when you have gunk that just won't come out any other way.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatt010 View Post
    I use the same Rinse kit love it. It was recommended to me by my ENT doc and has helped a lot during allergy season. One thing i noticed is it works better with distilled water less contamination and irritants. I also sterilize mine every few uses in the microwave, dry it out and microwave on high for 90 seconds.
    ALWAYS use distilled water or boiled water, NEVER use tap water for sinus rinsing. A potentially serious infection could occur.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

6. Member
    Welcome to the bottle-user side. I use to take Claritin, et. al. and haven't the past 4+ using the bottle you describe.

I use every am (year-round), and right after mowing.

7. Banned
    I used tap water but was going to get distilled water. Do I get just regular gallon of Distilled water ? How long do you microwave the plastic bottle with distilled water ? I understand the contamination with the water going back into the bottle.

8. Member
    When I had sinus surgery, the doc said I needed to do rinses to get the clots out. So I started night and day and man did they ever come out. Kinda quit using it lately but ready to start up again. It's kind of addicting.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Buy the battery powered Sinugator

P01135809

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    I always have some kind of mild nose irritation or a runny nose etc. I finally went on eBay and bought the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit. I got 2 plastic squeese bottles and 250 Saline solutionpackets. I used it last night and just now and ....W O W, what a great feeling blasting 8 ozes of warm salt water up one nostril and out the other nostril. I think it even opens my ears. Does anyone else use these and what are your experiences ?
    Use it every morning.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

11. Member
    Every day here in the desert with the NeilMed, multiple times if a dust storm rolls thru. My ENT prescribed budesonide to use with it. I've had 3 sinus surgeries, and after the 3rd, my physician stated that budesonide will help prevent any future polyp growth. So far so good after 5 years. Current recipe is one 2mL bottle of budesonide, .5 teaspoon of sea or kosher salt, distilled water, 33 seconds in the microwave. Done.

For those who use tap water, you may want to start to consider using filtered, bottled or distilled water. There's been some cases of naegleria fowleri from people using tap water in their neti pots. It's rare, but better safe than sorry. That stuff is game over.

12. Member
    I grew up with chronic sinus infections Having 3 or 4 bad episodes a year..At some point my ENT doctor recommended using the sinus rinse. After about 3-4 months of using it, my sinus infections disappeared...Now I might get one every 3 or 4 years ..I would highly reccommend the rinse....

13. Banned
    I went and got the Distilled water this morning and I microwaved the bottle for 33 seconds. Perfect temp for the Blast -It cleared my nose, ears and eyes. I can breath better and my ears are open too > Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Nostril Blaster(Rinse).

14. Member
    If you have a cold or are otherwise stuffed up, don't use it - the rinse will come out your tear ducts.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    If you have a cold or are otherwise stuffed up, don't use it - the rinse will come out your tear ducts.
    I am always stuff up, No wonder why my eyes and ears almost popped off my head..

16. Member
    If you use distilled water you really don't have to microwave it unless you just want a warmer water. Room temp water will do the trick too.
    Hi Mike.

17. Member
    I've been doing them for about 8 years, ENT got me started on them before my surgery for chronic sinus issues and infections. Always use distilled water and I usually warm it up in the microwave for 20 seconds, doc said to use cold/room temp will not help as much as it can cause restriction from the shock to the blood vessels and nerves when the water enters the nose.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    If you use distilled water you really don't have to microwave it unless you just want a warmer water. Room temp water will do the trick too.
    Microwaving the water isn't for killing the bacteria in the water; it's to warm it up. That's why the bottle only needs to be blasted for less than a minute. If it was about killing the bacteria, it would have to be boiled. You wouldn't want to put boiling water in your sinuses. Wouldn't want to put 140deg water up there, either.

Really just want to warm it up so that it's closer to body temp. Too cold or too hot and it could irritate the sensitive lining of the sinuses.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    Microwaving the water isn't for killing the bacteria in the water; it's to warm it up. That's why the bottle only needs to be blasted for less than a minute. If it was about killing the bacteria, it would have to be boiled. You wouldn't want to put boiling water in your sinuses. Wouldn't want to put 140deg water up there, either.

Really just want to warm it up so that it's closer to body temp. Too cold or too hot and it could irritate the sensitive lining of the sinuses.
    Oh yeah I knew that. I just leave the jug of distilled water out, room temp works just fine for me.
    Hi Mike.

20. Member
    Absolutely use distilled water.

Sterilize with alcohol (or hydrogen peroxide) every few fills. Use a qtip dipped in alky to wipe out the screw-on cap and tube.

Don't force it/pressurize your sinuses. Flush as much as goes in easily, wait 5 minutes, your sinuses will open up, then flush some more.

Use it to flush dust out of your nose/sinuses when you are in dusty conditions (dry grass/pollen/woodworking).

Use it several times a day when you have a cold/flu. It will help cut down on the nasties reproducing in your nose/sinuses.

Use it to rehydrate your sinuses if your CPAP runs out of water during the night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast