Opinions and advice

This may start as more of a rant than anything but I really am looking for advice and opinions on what I should do next. Last July my wife surprised me with a new 2017 Skeeter ZX200 packaged with a 200 hp SHO as she was tired of my complaints that my 99 ZX185 was becoming too unreliable. The end of last season was no problem...loved the set up. Late Nov dropped off the boat to dealer...paid around $800 and had the 20 hour service and winterizing done. Part of the deal in purchasing involved storage so it stayed there for the winter. In April I called to get it out of storage and they discovered someone had stolen the motor...lots of excuses and delays buy by mid June they had put a new motor on. At that time I was told I'd have to bring it back in the fall as the jackplate was on back order and they were unable to put the right hydraulic lines in for the steering so the wrapped them in cheap plastic loom. Went to start the break in and wasn't right...back at the launch I checked and wrong prop on. Called them and told I could grab the right on Saturday. Switched props and all was good for about 5 weeks. During a tournament it started running off...lost 10 mph and no hole shot. Back to the dealer. Find out lower unit is gone and 4 weeks later told it isn't covered. Yamaha says the prop was improperly installed and basically when the seals finally failed got sucked into the housing. My dealership is offering to pay half and wants me to pay the other $3500. When I switched props I used every part they gave me...it seemed well seated and was fine for 19 hours of run time. What do you think should be my next step?

2. Member

"ONE CALL, THAT'S ALL"

3. Member
    call Yamaha support 800-962-7926 should have a case number set up if they actually called them. Doesn't sound like a very good dealership, I went thru the same thing with my dealer getting my skeeter repaired/replaced and had to take it upon myself to get it done

4. Member
    Well so far no luck...I call the number you provided...they transferred me to Yamaha Canada...they took notes of my call and will have someone call the dealership as they do not speak with customers directly. As I feel most of my issues are caused by the dealer I don't expect this is going to get me anywhere. Pretty disappointing way to enjoy a $70 000 purchase so far

5. Member
    Yamaha will help if the dealer caused the issue. funny I called that number and followed the automated prompts and I talked to someone in technical service every time I needed to

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RERUN View Post

"ONE CALL, THAT'S ALL"
    He is referring to an attorney's advertisement on television in Alabama and Georgia.

7. Banned
    I was thinking a lower unit was about $4k. See www.boats.net for the Yamaha parts fiche.

8. Member
    You have to remember I'm in Canada...$5400 for lower unit...$900 for prop plus labour

9. Member
    Don’t know what advice you are looking for, but sounds like time to contact and attorney. Prop is pretty hard to screw up installation. Thrust washer, prop, spacer, washer, nut, cotter pin. Torque to spec.
    Have you asked for the Yamaha Rep to speak to you to explain why they won’t cover?

10. Member
    Yamaha Canada and Yamaha USA are completely different organizations.

Yam Can is not nearly as lenient as Yam US is with goodwill (non-warranty) support. Or at least it used to be that way.

With what little information I have (from reading the posts) this does not seem to have anything to do with Yamaha Canada. That is, the failure does not appear to be the result of a warrantable defect. Remember, not everything that goes wrong is covered by the warranty.

From what I see, a replacement propeller was provided by the dealer. Installed by the owner. Appears that the propeller nut got loose and the propeller then damaged (destroyed?) the lower unit. Does not appear to be anything that the dealer was involved with if he did not install, torque and safety the propeller nut. Sounds a bit harsh I know.

If the dealer is willing to split the costs then from what I can see that is a pretty good deal. He could take a completely more onerous stance and offer nothing.

11. Member
    Not far from where I live, there's been a lot of thefts in the area definitely organized! 200k of boats stolen from one dealer and multiple small motors lifted off boats. Even at ramps items have been stolen! Then there was the tackle shop that was emptied overnight while the owner slept next door! Crazy!
    Last edited by SkeeterJohn; 08-17-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

12. Member
    Prop should have been installed properly at the dealership but they didn't put the right one on the first time and didn't have time to correct it before the weekend so I did switch them. Everything was done correctly and tightened. To quote my text reply from the mechanic "Either the thrust hub was defective or the prop. I think it was the hub in the prop because it has moved and that would destroy the thrust washer. This would allow the prop to move back into the gear case. There is nothing missing. You have 19 hours on your motor and no codes"

13. Member
    Wow I guess Canada is off my fishing list with my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterJohn View Post
    Not far from where I live, there's been a lot of thefts in the area definitely organized! 200k of boats stolen from one dealer and multiple small motors lifted off boats. Even at ramps items have been stolen! Then there was the tackle shop that was emptied overnight while the owner slept next door! Crazy!