Got seven new rods coming - need hook keeper advice

I just bought seven Lew's Hyper Mag reels and seven Lew's Custom Pro casting rods. Got a friend in the business, so I did not pay anywhere close to retail or I would not have purchased this bulk buy.

They are replacing my value setup of Abu Silver Max / All Star rods. However, I do not like the hook keeper locations available. The reel has a flip down piece for a hook keeper just forward of the reel handle. The rods have a trigger slot. Both locations put my baits around the reel which I do not like at all. I prefer the keeper like my Allstar rods, top of rod and closed loop.

Looked at the Fuji keeper but I want something a little less bulky. I need a keeper that does not require taking the hook out of a soft plastic to get an exposed hook to latch into a slot. Hence why I really like the closed loop.

What are my options? Buy the closed loop hook keeper and do it myself? Never worked an a rod, so starting from scratch. Get a local rod builder to do it? Buy something I'm not aware of that is an easy install.

Thanks.

2. Member
    I use the bar above the line eyelet on baitcasters
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

3. Member
    I would buy the style you like, wrap and epoxy them yourself or find a rod builder to do it for you.

The biggest challenge w/o specialized equipment is allowing the epoxy to cure w/o drip or sag.
    A rod builder avoids this by using a "rod dryer" which slowly rotates the rod during cure.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Ranting incoherently

5. Member
    I have several soft plastics on at all times. To use the zip tie I would have to pull the hook out of the soft plastic bait to "hook" it into the keeper. That is why I want a closed loop. Neat idea though.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
    I have several soft plastics on at all times. To use the zip tie I would have to pull the hook out of the soft plastic bait to "hook" it into the keeper. That is why I want a closed loop. Neat idea though.
    I wonder if you could use that same type of zip tie, and just cut the side of the screw hole out, so you have a U shape to grab the bend of your hook while keeping it in the bait.
    2017 Stratos 186VLO - 115 Vmax SHO

7. Member
    Cutting out the zip tie may work. I have a fuji type on a spinning rod and I tried to use it by the bend in the hook only, don't hold so well. My local fishing shop has a guy that does custom rod work, I think I let him do it right with a low profile closed loop.

8. Member
    Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
    Opening the loop allows you to hook rigged plastics without unrigging them. Opening the loop as shown does not weaken it, I'm in my second season with mine.
    Ranting incoherently

10. Member
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Norm...page-BNHK.html

these are the same thing (but diff brand) that you get when you buy a Loomis DSR rod. You can put it either behind the reel seat or above it
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Opening the loop allows you to hook rigged plastics without unrigging them. Opening the loop as shown does not weaken it, I'm in my second season with mine.
    This is an awesome idea that works. I tried it out on one rod this morning and ended up adding these hook keepers to four rods.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax