Jack and wrench for Sabre single axle trailer, Stalker wheels

Any recommendations?

Most any bottle jack wil manage the axle, while a 12 point thin wall socket and 1/2" breakover socket handle will manage the lug nuts.

I use my truck scissor jack for the trailer. Sometimes with a bottle jack, you can't get it under the axle with a flat and uneven terrain.

Tom

4. Member
    I use a gadget I built. two pieces of 2x4 glued and screwed together. V-notch in one end, other end rounded and then notched to make it rough. I put the notched (V) end against the axle, the rounded/rough end on the ground, and pull forward with my truck. Pulls the trailer up on the doubled 2x4 easily. Set the length so that it will raise the wheel high enough + a couple of inches to allow for road surface irregularities (and dirt/mud/etc).

That being said, I have only used this one time in all my boating life. Had a flat at the ramp where someone had somehow gotten a big piece of rip-rap up on the ramp but under water and when I backed in, it rolled and ripped the valve stem off. Have never had a flat on the road. But I do monitor tire pressure regularly as well as tire condition. I walked by a 4-5 year old ranger at the ramp on Wednesday. Noticed the tires were slick. Looking more carefully they were slick and had some steel belts showing. Told the owner and he said "Wow, had not noticed." Told him he ought to check 'em every now and then for safety... I check hub temps EVERY single time I tow. And so far, I have never been stranded on the side of the road. A little preventative maintenance solves much of this although a nail can find a wheel easy enough it seems...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

A Tandem only needs a 4 x 4 block and pull one wheel up on it.

6. Member
    I carry a 2 1/2 ton floor jack in the bed of my truck (have a cover on the bed). Craftsman series comes in a nice hard plastic case.
    Works on the boat as well as the truck - I hate those screw scissor jacks.
    Makes changing a tire quick and easy.

I have done this since 99 and probably used it 50 times (boat, my vehicle and a bunch of other's vehicles.
    I think it was about 35-40 bucks back then.

Don't forget to have a 3/4 in socket and a 3/4 in wrench (box or ratcheting) to get the spare off - that takes as much time as changing the tire!
    Last edited by catmantwo; 08-17-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Most any bottle jack wil manage the axle, while a 12 point thin wall socket and 1/2" breakover socket handle will manage the lug nuts.
    Anybody willing to send me a link to one of these sockets? Having a hard time finding a thin walled 12 pt (what size??) socket. Seems like the drive is 1/2", but the nut is 3/4?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Anybody willing to send me a link to one of these sockets? Having a hard time finding a thin walled 12 pt (what size??) socket. Seems like the drive is 1/2", but the nut is 3/4?

9. Member
    If your spare tire is mounted like mine on a P2, you will need the 3/4 socket and box wrench to remove the spare from the trailer.

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    I am not sure id the size of the lug nut used on the stalker wheels.
    MY GUESS is 13/16.
    Here is a link to a thin wall/ 1/2 inch drive (21mm-13/16) on amazon.
    Other sizes are available once you confirm the lug nut size.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J7421MT-2-Inch-Impact/dp/B00271EHP4/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1538614035&sr =1-10&keywords=1%2F2+in+drive+thin+wall+12+point+sock et

If in doubt, call parts/service and I am sure they will give you the size needed.
    Last edited by catmantwo; 10-03-2018 at 08:00 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catmantwo View Post
    I am not sure id the size of the lug nut used on the stalker wheels.
    MY GUESS is 13/16.
    Here is a link to a thin wall/ 1/2 inch drive (21mm-13/16) on amazon.
    Other sizes are available once you confirm the lug nut size.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J7421MT-2-Inch-Impact/dp/B00271EHP4/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1538614035&sr =1-10&keywords=1%2F2+in+drive+thin+wall+12+point+sock et

If in doubt, call parts/service and I am sure they will give you the size needed.
    Thanks for taking the time!