Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brakes Or No Brakes?

I realize that they would not be necessary on this rig, but if ordering new, would you order the trailer with or without brakes? The optional brakes are a surge brake system. Total package weight without fuel or gear would be about 2700 lbs. Boat will be towed with a full size 1/2 ton pick-up. I guess my biggest question is if the extra stopping ability is worth having to do occasional maintenance or the possibility of mechanical issues with the brakes?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    They very well may be required by law. You don't say where you are so I can't tell you.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    They very well may be required by law. You don't say where you are so I can't tell you.
    Brakes (and registration) are not required here until over 3,000 lbs.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    Brakes (and registration) are not required here until over 3,000 lbs.
    If the package weighs 2700, you'll be way over 3000 on the road. Batteries alone will put you there in many cases.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Scraps
    Brakes.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Get the brakes,,,can make an ugly situation into something not as much unfortunate.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Brakes. My factory trailer came with no brakes. Someone hit the trailer and it needed to be replaced. I ordered the new one with brakes, it made a noticable difference on my little Z6. I am towing with a 1/2 ton pick up.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

8. Member
    You haven't really been boating until some idiot pulls out in front of you on a wet road when you're doing 50 MPH, and you hit the brakes, and see your boat trying to pass you. Brakes can save you from a lot of lost boating time. Among other things.

9. Member
    Absolutely without question.

brakes are required on any 18' boat trailer in my area, i can say we would have been in a hurt bag if i was pulling a 17' boat with a half ton, luckly my budy with a 3/4 was pulling, stopped 1' short of a not good deal. now i have 3/4 and breaks and have faith
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    You have any kind of speed with that set up and you are forced to lock up on the brakes, your boat will push your truck either through an intersection or some other place you dont want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    I realize that they would not be necessary on this rig, but if ordering new, would you order the trailer with or without brakes? The optional brakes are a surge brake system. Total package weight without fuel or gear would be about 2700 lbs. Boat will be towed with a full size 1/2 ton pick-up. I guess my biggest question is if the extra stopping ability is worth having to do occasional maintenance or the possibility of mechanical issues with the brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    You have any kind of speed with that set up and you are forced to lock up on the brakes, your boat will push your truck either through an intersection or some other place you dont want to go.
    This! I have 3 occasions over the last 30 years where I had to lock up truck brakes to avoid a collision and feel I could not have stopped without the surge brakes. I also was rear ended while stopped in freeway construction traffic. The impact knocked the motor off the boat and across two lanes of traffic and destroyed the back of the boat. In part, I credit the surge brakes with preventing the boat and/or trailer from coming into the back of the Tahoe.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

13. Joe4d
    I ordered no brakes but I tow with a 2500,,, With todays F150's ? yeh no brakes.. you dont need them or the extra expense, and water, especially brackish or salt dont mix with brakes. My Javilin's dry weight was 2800 lb,, B M T,,,,, NOONE had trailer brakes back then,, and pulled em with half tons all over country... I had a 94 F150,,, 4200 lbs ,,, didnt even know trailers had brakes. Todays 1/2 tons are 5 to 6 k lbs curb weight.
    Just dont drive like an idiot, dont tail gate and if an idiot pulls out in front of you better to use their car to slow u down than to jack knife.
    2700 sounds like a smaller lightweight boat,,, Id go single axel no brakes,, be done with it... Drive slow expect dumbass to pull out

You might want to consider resale value. If you ever want to sell you may lose some potential customers just for not having brakes.

If they're responsible for avoiding one collision, then it's money well spent!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

16. Member
    Let me say another thing. On some pickups there is a valve in the rear brake line that cuts out the rear brakes if the bed raises too high. This is to prevent the rear brakes from locking up. Then all you have is front brakes and they have anti-skid which reduces their efficiency on a wet road by turning them off and on. With a 1/2 ton this can get really exciting. With a duallie not so much.

17. Member
    From the sounds of things, I have been damn lucky. I 've been pulling boats in the same weight range with 1/2 ton pick-up trucks since 1996 and never had one problem. I guess I will opt for the optional brakes on the new rig.

Not really lucky, just not unlucky
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    I ordered no brakes but I tow with a 2500,,, With todays F150's ? yeh no brakes.. you dont need them or the extra expense, and water, especially brackish or salt dont mix with brakes. My Javilin's dry weight was 2800 lb,, B M T,,,,, NOONE had trailer brakes back then,, and pulled em with half tons all over country... I had a 94 F150,,, 4200 lbs ,,, didnt even know trailers had brakes. Todays 1/2 tons are 5 to 6 k lbs curb weight.
    Just dont drive like an idiot, dont tail gate and if an idiot pulls out in front of you better to use their car to slow u down than to jack knife.
    2700 sounds like a smaller lightweight boat,,, Id go single axel no brakes,, be done with it... Drive slow expect dumbass to pull out
    So you can predict a female driver cutting you off on a interstate so she could stop in the median crossover lane like I had happen to me 2 weekends ago? If I would not have had trailer brakes both of us would have been piled up in the median. She would not have fared too well in a car vs my f250. Instead it was a very close call and we both went about our day. I will not own a trailer without brakes. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Some of these responses remind me of the lead in to the TV show Street Outlaws--
    " Just because were dumbasses doesn't mean you have to be dumbasses"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast