Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bought my boat but it didn't come with brakes. Added them last year (electric) and they have made a huge difference. Originally was towing with a GMC Sierra but stopping was marginal without trailer brakes. Added the trailer brakes and stopping became much better (already had a controller for another trailer I have). My boat package was supposed to be under Ohio's 3000 lb limit on boat trailers but when I weighed it on a CAT scale is came to over 3100 lbs (without all my fishing gear or cooler in it and only 1/2 tank of fuel).

Purchased a new Chevy Colorado (Diesel) with an integrated brake controller that makes the brakes act like surge brakes. The harder I press the pedal the more power goes to the trailer brakes. It's the best of both worlds. Six brakes slowing you down is much better than only four.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    So you can predict a female driver cutting you off on a interstate so she could stop in the median crossover lane like I had happen to me 2 weekends ago? If I would not have had trailer brakes both of us would have been piled up in the median. She would not have fared too well in a car vs my f250. Instead it was a very close call and we both went about our day. I will not own a trailer without brakes. Cj

Poor driving is not gender specific. Had to ask myself, "How will this post make Al feel?" Hope he likes it.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

3. Member
    Brakes....if I didn't have them I'd have a new permanent outdoor address at the church.

4. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    Poor driving is not gender specific. Had to ask myself, "How will this post make Al feel?" Hope he likes it.
    yep,,, like poor driving as in towing and driving too fast in the left lane when you wernt passing evidently.

5. Member
    Uh no, we were both passing. She started back to the right lane, then cut back across to the left as she was shutting it down for the median. She was on the brakes so hard I could smell them. Also it doesn't matter male or female people do stupid stuff and you have to be prepared for it. Like the boy who ran a stop sign at 60+ hitting me 3 years ago. Brakes are one part of the being prepared for it. I am working on my third million mile stretch and would not tow without brakes on the trailer. Just providing a opinion from experience. Cj
    Last edited by CJ1; 08-18-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Uh no, we were both passing. She started back to the right lane, then cut back across to the left as she was shutting it down for the median. She was on the brakes so hard I could smell them. Also it doesn't matter male or female people do stupid stuff and you have to be prepared for it. Like the boy who ran a stop sign at 60+ hitting me 3 years ago. Brakes are one part of the being prepared for it. I am working on my third million mile stretch and would not tow without brakes on the trailer. Just providing a opinion from experience. Cj
    Had something similar happen along Alligator Alley back in the 80's. A Porsch and a minivan passed me on the left then cut right to catch the next light. I had to swerve left to miss them. Apparently Mr Minivan missed the light because he passed me on the right, cut left to u-turn thru the median. Had zero time to swerve, instead hammered the brakes. Locked all four wheels, tires smoking, hit him at 45 mph. Ripped the ass-end off the minivan as it was turned about 45 degs from me. Shot him across oncoming traffic at 3:30 am. He pulled into the grass as did I (facing opposite directions). We ran to the minivan expecting bloody carnage only to have him hit the gas, squealing left thru the red light. My Champion boat/trailer weighed about 2600 lbs, had no trailer brakes and I was towing it with a F100 3-speed back then. Since I had a heavy duty brush guard on the front I had minimal damage. Worst was the rear bumper bent up from the trailer (ball was on bumper).

Would trailer brakes have helped stop me? IDK but it would have lessened the impact and I wished then that I had them.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

7. Member
    Just make sure u have spare brake parts for it in a box cause u will need them. Seems most new trailers are having issues

Quote Originally Posted by James john View Post
    Just make sure u have spare brake parts for it in a box cause u will need them. Seems most new trailers are having issues
    Care to qualify that statement ?
    Most of the issues I read on "new trailers" has to do with the inability to back up! Which 99.9% of the time is electrical and has nothing to do with needing "spare brake parts"

9. Member
    Next boat I buy will have trailer brakes --
    Back in the early 90's I made a 13ft Whaler sport into a mini bass boat. Added a raised deck, trolling motor and live well, put a very healthy Merc 500 on it. All I had to tow it was a 79 Dodge magnum - was basically a Nascar Cordoba, built 360/727 trans. Towed and stopped well. Towed it every weekend to Lake Casitas, 90 miles each way, never an issue.
    In 2004 I bought a new Nitro 640LX/Optimax package. Figured it was less than 3000lbs so who needs trailer brakes. Made several trips towing with the Magnum until one day I had to make a panic stop, the boat pushed me sliding all 4 wheels until I rear ended a new Lexus SUV. Lesson learned. I now tow very carefully with an 09 F150 4X4 with tow package.
    Last edited by plki; 08-20-2018 at 01:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12