Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Joe4d
    I looked at the ZX 190,, like I said, under powered also heavy.. You cant even get a 175 on it, although it is rated for it. Woulda considered it with a 200. My last boat was a 17-9 with a 150,, Javelin, never felt like I needed more boat. But for this one I wanted 18-19 with at least a 175... Thought about the Rnger 518 IC but they dropped it. Probably shoulda have saved some money and went Xpress X19,,, probably woulda been perfect but dealers a day away worried me. Ended up going with a Triton 18 TRX with a 200. although probably gonna end up about 12-14 K more than the Xpress, due to having to pay more for things that were standard on Xpress but not the Triton.. Like aluminum trailer.
    Deciding factor for me was a dealer 45 min away, vs 12 hours. But put me in that financing but cant afford category... YOLO,, cant take it with me,,,

Get out on big water, Toledo Bend, Rayburn or Falcon and tell me you only want a 18.5’ to19’ Boat.
    What everyone here is saying is just their opinion, and we all have the right.
    I also see others that if truth was known their wishing deep down inside to buy Big and New.

Yes boats are expensive, are all the bells and whistles needed? No...
    Is it nice, yes. What difference is it if you pay cash or finance? As long as one is financially secure who cares what they do, it’s their right to do so.

This topic was about the cost of a new rig, and yes they are high, not who pays cash and who finances.
    Boats will sell regardless.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisansilver View Post
    Get out on big water, Toledo Bend, Rayburn or Falcon and tell me you only want a 18.5’ to19’ Boat.
    What everyone here is saying is just their opinion, and we all have the right.
    I also see others that if truth was known their wishing deep down inside to buy Big and New.

Yes boats are expensive, are all the bells and whistles needed? No...
    Is it nice, yes. What difference is it if you pay cash or finance? As long as one is financially secure who cares what they do, it’s their right to do so.

This topic was about the cost of a new rig, and yes they are high, not who pays cash and who finances.
    Boats will sell regardless.
    So how did the fish Toledo Bend, Rayburn and Falcon before the advent of +20 foot bass boat??? Were there mass swamping and drowning victims that weren't reported??? Just busting your chops... I enjoy every inch of my 21'10" Bullet every time I'm on the water... Enjoy, life's short... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    So how did the fish Toledo Bend, Rayburn and Falcon before the advent of +20 foot bass boat??? Were there mass swamping and drowning victims that weren't reported??? Just busting your chops... I enjoy every inch of my 21'10" Bullet every time I'm on the water... Enjoy, life's short... Dan
    Never said wasn’t on the water in a sub 20’ footer.
    You have, being out there, wet, beat to death, cold and setting in School Bus Cove waiting on weather to break.
    You have, enjoying being out, safe, dry and able to get back to the ramp...
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    I would not call a $40k boat a low dollar boat.
    I reread my post and I'm pretty sure I didn't either. Mine was a whole lot cheaper than the $68,000 that was sitting next to it and it does the same thing.

6. Member
    In the mid 80's an 18' boat retailed for around 16k. If you could reproduce that boat today the price has about doubled in 30 years. But it would be a 17.5 footer with a carbureted 150 with cable steering, no jackplate, 2 flashers, a 24v trolling motor, and not much else. I would say most things have doubled in price in the last 30 years, so boats are in line with most other products. People try to campare today's high end tournament boat, with high end tournament boats from 30 years ago. There is no comparison, so we either scale back to our beginnings, or shut up and pay for bigger nicer boats with waaaay more features.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Common sense would tell you adding high end accessories changes the price and is no longer entry level.
    Just so I understand, a 21 foot boat with a 225hp motor, 1 8’ power pole and 7” and 9” graphs would be entry level?

Entry level refers to price wise. Nothing more, nothing less. If anyone gets their butt chapped over someone calling a 17' boat with smaller graphs and few if any accessories entry level then so be it. Most seem to want/prefer one a bit larger boat with higher end electronics. It's not a shot at anyone just looking at it objectively. Funny anyone gets offended over that.
    You’re not the first to refer to those boats as entry level. I’ve even seen manufacturers refer to them that way and it wasn’t in reference to one of those cheap package deals, just in reference to the size of the boat. As already stated, it just creates a wrong perception that a shorter boat is inferior or less than adequate.

Past that I dont need to explain anything. I buy what I want and can afford. I started with smaller boats, a few were beaters and worked my way up to a 20' because it's what I wanted. I could go back to a shorter boat and keep fishing. I don't want to. I want the larger one and it fits my budget. I don't have to justify it but it damn sure ain't ego.....lol
    How come you don't own a single cab truxmck with manual window cranks and no frills. Betting you dont own one of those as a daily driver......lol
    ive got a 19 yo Ford F-150 Supercab XL trim. Manual windows and door locks.

Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    Just so I understand, a 21 foot boat with a 225hp motor, 1 8’ power pole and 7” and 9” graphs would be entry level?

You’re not the first to refer to those boats as entry level. I’ve even seen manufacturers refer to them that way and it wasn’t in reference to one of those cheap package deals, just in reference to the size of the boat. As already stated, it just creates a wrong perception that a shorter boat is inferior or less than adequate.

ive got a 19 yo Ford F-150 Supercab XL trim. Manual windows and door locks.

Call em what you want. I will do the same. I think most know what is being referred to.

Boats are not as crazy priced as the graphs that we put on them , mine are 8 years old and I’m not spending $7,000 upgrading them,
    its the most overrated and priced items on a boat .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Boats are not as crazy priced as the graphs that we put on them , mine are 8 years old and I’m not spending $7,000 upgrading them,
    its the most overrated and priced items on a boat .
    Agreed, but yet folks buy three of them at a time and hence the reason they are pricing them where they are.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    In the mid 80's an 18' boat retailed for around 16k. If you could reproduce that boat today the price has about doubled in 30 years. But it would be a 17.5 footer with a carbureted 150 with cable steering, no jackplate, 2 flashers, a 24v trolling motor, and not much else. I would say most things have doubled in price in the last 30 years, so boats are in line with most other products. People try to campare today's high eare in the finannd tournament boat, with high end tournament boats from 30 years ago. There is no comparison, so we either scale back to our beginnings, or shut up and pay for bigger nicer boats with waaaay more features.
    Don't want to steal the thread,but this thread gets you thinking about inflation over the last 30 years vs.the American workers pay.Boat prices have at least doubled in 30 years.This tells me that our pay scale in this country did not keep up with inflation those same 30 years.(not even close)I am starting to see why some of my friends and relatives are in their financial woes.They keep buying and buying and its going on the plastic.I don't think they are making a great deal more money than they were lets say 10 to 15 years ago.But its none of my business anyway,I guess I tend to worry too much about my family and friends.
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ethand View Post
    Don't want to steal the thread,but this thread gets you thinking about inflation over the last 30 years vs.the American workers pay.Boat prices have at least doubled in 30 years.This tells me that our pay scale in this country did not keep up with inflation those same 30 years.(not even close)I am starting to see why some of my friends and relatives are in their financial woes.They keep buying and buying and its going on the plastic.I don't think they are making a great deal more money than they were lets say 10 to 15 years ago.But its none of my business anyway,I guess I tend to worry too much about my family and friends.

Yep, cost of living is increasing too fast. I have a buddy that retired 10 years ago, he didn’t have to work to need the extra money. Now he has to work several days a week just to have spending money.

13. Member
    1987 Superchamp
    2004 Merc 2.5 200EFI( will sell and swap back to 135 or 150 before sell more than likely.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ethand View Post
    Have those friends kept up with technology? Technology has jumped leaps and bounds since 1988. Cell phones did not become available to the public until 1983, in 88 they were still in their infancy. Factory automation was right there with that technology. Today everyone has a cell phone and most shop online. There was no BBC for comparing notes. People talked with their neighbors for a product rating, they may have read a magazine or other publication? I look at our education system and how we educate our youth pretty much the same way I was educated in the 60's and 70's. The only thing that has changed is the way we look things up via the internet vs a library. No doubt it makes it faster.

The education piece is on the government and parents. You can't lay that on so called greedy companies. The REAMS of government regulations and the pass along costs are also primarily on the government.

Consumers went from shopping at the mall or local business to shopping from a huge warehouse. These warehouses are filled with products manufactured overseas. Consumers DEMAND a cheaper price, then they buy stuff on sale. This means the business owner has to be efficient. We ALL want to retire early and that means good quarterly earnings reports on our 401K's. It's a viscous cycle. Meanwhile those business folks are scrambling for workers qualified to work on and or operate the high tech equipment. Which of course leads me back to my first question. Those friends struggling to make ends meet, have they updated their skill sets since 1988, if so, how many times?

Employers are just like us, they are consumers of skill sets. We DEMAND the latest and greatest for the best price. Why do you expect anything less from the people you work for?

IMO about the only thing out of whack in our biz sector is CEO pay. I am not for limiting that pay via the government. IMO consumers should do that. Historically CEO pay is higher by percentage than workers pay. That has gotten WAY out of wack for a very small percentage of the biz world. The 24th amendment was ratified nationwide about 50 years ago. How much has that changed the face of America?

My wife and I decided six years ago to drop out of the corporate rat race and go back into education. The pay is dismal compared to the rat race. But, seeing those light bulbs come on is priceless. We are blessed to live in a country where we are free to have discussions like this. We are free to fish from the bank, a kayak, or any boat we can afford. I have an acquaintance that runs yachts to and fro for REALLY wealthy folks. I'm talking people who have fook you money LOL. They pay him more for one run in those yachts than most of us earn in two or three years.

Lastly, I don't think bass boats have doubled in price the past 30 years! I think consumer expectations have doubled the past 30 years. Like Mark said, if dealers stocked a bunch of basic 17 and 18 footers in that 22-23K price range on the lot (they would be built and equipped better than they were back then!) consumers would demand the larger rigs. You have your entry level folks and you'll ALWAYS have your folks with disposable income. Even during the Great Depression America had people who earned great sums of disposable income.

15. Member
    Well lots of really good point and opinions, but no real answer to the original question. I understand my defintion of week end angler may not be same as others. I run a local club and tournament series and try very hard to be competetive in it as well. I also know that bells and whistles also can be defined as Angler Advantage as well. Point in case if Im on a school of fish I CAN FOLLOW THEM WITH SIDE SCAN however I cannot with a enrty level hook5? Thats a bell and whistle for sure but is it better? Absolutely. I was just simply trying to state the fact that rigging a boat from entry level (original cost) vs upgrades available to rig on boat is astonishing. Nitro website gets $4200 each for 12" carbons vs no charge for 1 hook 5. That a huge difference. Troll motor upgrade is 1500-2800 depending. Power Poles are $2100 each, and on and on and on. So when you look at site or talk to rep the base price is no haggle at 29-32k however I have never seen one on the showroom floor? I see them at 35-45k because they have already been rigged with hds7 hds9 or helix ect ect ect. And when you even mention ordering one they flip out. Not to beat a dead horse bit yes I know any boat can catch fish or any angler. I started in a 1997 Tracker 40hp and yes I caught fish but did the bigger boats running 65 have advantage of course they can cover ttwice as much water as I could. lol. Anyway I appreciate all the response just venting I guess.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

Cost of belonging to the country club is not affordable by just any Joe ..... That's what I was told.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haveme1 View Post
    Cost of belonging to the country club is not affordable by just any Joe ..... That's what I was told.
    Depends what ole Joe is willing to give up for it I guess, I’ve seen an awful lot of brand new bass boats parked under a hickernut tree in front of a 5000$ house. As I said before, yes, they are pricing out any angler who doesn’t either have xx,000$ of disposable cash on hand or doesn’t want a 30 year mortgage on something that will be virtually worthless when you finally own it. I personally am not going to make payments on a boat or spend every dime of cash I have on one either, I buy what I can afford without effecting my finances. I am not knocking anyone who does things differently, each to their own but those boat payments keep coming no matter the weather or economy.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

I just don’t get the perspective that some have where they feel they can justify judging others for having something that they themselves cannot. Is it just simple jealousy? Does it make them feel inferior? These are honest questions not intended to be insults. Some form of this question comes up almost continually. If not boat prices it’s trucks or houses or anything else. Sometimes is cracks made at guys in faster boats with faster being pretty much any speed greater than what the guy making the post can achieve. Or it’s the guy that says he gets the same understand of the lake bottom with a jig as the guys that have HD imaging.

How about everyone quit worrying so much about the other guy and go fish? If you keep focusing on what everyone else has, you’ll never enjoy what you have. And let me tell you, if you have the luxury of going online to complain about how someone else’s bass boat compares to yours, you have a lot to enjoy.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I just don’t get the perspective that some have where they feel they can justify judging others for having something that they themselves cannot. Is it just simple jealousy? Does it make them feel inferior? These are honest questions not intended to be insults. Some form of this question comes up almost continually. If not boat prices it’s trucks or houses or anything else. Sometimes is cracks made at guys in faster boats with faster being pretty much any speed greater than what the guy making the post can achieve. Or it’s the guy that says he gets the same understand of the lake bottom with a jig as the guys that have HD imaging.

How about everyone quit worrying so much about the other guy and go fish? If you keep focusing on what everyone else has, you’ll never enjoy what you have. And let me tell you, if you have the luxury of going online to complain about how someone else’s bass boat compares to yours, you have a lot to enjoy.

Absolutely...
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post

AMEN!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast