Thread: V8 Noise Level

V8 Noise Level

I've got a the Mercury 150 fourstroke on my boat now but am in the process of ordering a new boat that will need a 250 on it. One of the things I really like about my present motor is how quiet it is. I can idle around looking for structure on my electronics and can hardly hear the engine running. From the few videos I have seen it seems that the new V8 Pro XS is quite a bit louder at idle, kind of like a muscle car. Is that really the case? I haven't been able to hear one in real life. If it's loud like a 2 stroke Pro XS then I'd consider getting the regular non-Pro XS fourstroke, or even an SHO.

Well I came from a 250 Optimax. I feel its slightly louder then the optimax at idle, if your behind the motor definitely, but in front of of the motor , in the driver seat, prolly less noise then an optimax.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    i saw and heard a video of a 175 non XS and very smooth and quiet at low speed and idle

https://content.invisioncic.com/r242...5b5bcafbbb.mp4
    Last edited by danlaboucane; 08-16-2018 at 11:20 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Answer will depend on which one of the 95 (not counting the 250R) models you choose.

The Verado Version would, of course, be the quietest. ProXS and the Racing 250R would be on the louder side.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    My buddy got a 250ProXS 4s V8.

The start up is awesome, mean sounding.

I was surprised how actually quite it was idling and running. Because of the way it starts up, I was expecting a little louder.

IMO it was the same as far as idle or quieter than the 250 2stoke ProXS, And I believe quieter than the 2stroke on pad.
    My buddy thinks so the same also.
    Also you don't have that signature compressor sound that the 2stroke has.

If your expecting it to be as quite as the 150 4s you had, I can tell it will not be!

Those engines you have are so freaking quite, one guy at our little jackpot we have. Has more than once forgot to shut his engine off, and left it running while fishing.

6. Member
    Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be as quiet as the 150 as it has 4 more cylinders and a lot more displacement. It just seemed to be pretty loud at start up, which I would not want to have to listen to when idling around looking for structure, etc.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grazingrhino View Post
    Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be as quiet as the 150 as it has 4 more cylinders and a lot more displacement. It just seemed to be pretty loud at start up, which I would not want to have to listen to when idling around looking for structure, etc.

Yeah I was expecting loud idle like you from the videos I had seen before I got to ride in one first hand.

Like I said it was much quieter than expected at idling. And the shifting is smooth as butter. Starting is like the new cars, turn the key and let go it will turn over till it starts.

8. Member
    I know someone who rode in a pontoon with two 300 V8 FourStrokes (not Pro XS, Not Verado) on it. Said they were almost silent at idle. So, I’d say the 250 standard V8 will be quiet and smooth. I would expect the V8 Verado to be awesome too, and then you can choose the sporty loud sound or silent...it has selectable exhaust.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

9. mikesxpress
    Compared to my previous Opti the 4.6L PRO XS growls at startup/idle and I would estimate about the same in noise level. Just a different sound. Running it is much quieter.

Haha pull up next to an opti & you can't hear the 4.6 Pro running. It's a different noise for sure but is a little quieter

11. Member
    I just had a chance to ride in a pontoon boat with a regular (non-Pro XS) 300 V8. That thing was about as quiet as my 150. I'm told that the Pro XS is a little louder at idle and about the same when running.