Thread: 200 EFI Timing

200 EFI Timing

If I wanted to check timing on each cylinder, is there a mercury tape that goes around the flywheel? Not having issues, just reading an old post about setting timing using the hole that is highest. Winter tinkering
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, there is a timing tape that Mercury offered. Not sure if they're still made... but I believe I still have a few hanging out here.

Alternative is to manually reference each cylinder with a mark on the flywheel. Have to be very critical doing it, as the dial indicator will "dwell" at TDC for a few degrees.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

The technicians that did our new powerhead told me that they set the timing while running the boat on the water. Said that's the best way to do it. To be honest, that sounded strange to me (who admittedly knows not much about outboards). This is a 200 EFI 2.5 Merc ... ser/OG939997. I just don't see shops doing that as it seems like "shade tree" thinking.
    Logic tells me that timing is critical - so, what should I be thinking here?

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Not a mechanic. But think you have a dealer going above and beyond to set idle rpms and idle timing with motor under full water load. WOT timing was most likely set back at shop. And I'm sure water psi checked and that the gears go foward/n/reverse smoothly to make sure you are good to go. Joe/Don/others will have to say for sure
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

5. Member
    is a very good way to set max spark and good to know some will still go that extra mile to lake test
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

We finally got it out on the river and although we have a break-in regime maxing for now at 4000, it ran great - strong and quiet. It has great response and smooth running... we put about 1.5 -2 hours on it. The shop drained out all of the gas and added about 20 gal of fuel plus 2 qt of premium plus... so we saw a little white smoke - but that was expected. Thanks to all of the gentlemen on this board who patiently and professionally responded to our questions and concerns. Great to know you.

1999 200 EFI 2.5

ser/OG939997

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................