Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 225 pro xs surge when trimming

serial # 2B011680
    Noticed a couple weeks ago when running 5800ish rpm I touched the trim and felt motor loose power. Let off trim and went back to normal, Got home found cranking battery low on water. Topped off water and charged battery, lake tested and still having problem. Had battery load tested and it checked fine but I the replaced battery anyway with a Group 31 CA1000, CCA 850, RC 215. (this is the same battery I had for over a year with no issues or any change in accessories). Cleaned all battery connections, using stainless lock nuts, checked my master disconnect switch and it was clean an tight, checked main ground on engine block (per Don's advice I found on here) It was clean and tight. Lake tested and problem is still here. I ran with no graphs on, just the motor pulling on the battery. If I'm running say 4000 rpm's, hit the trim and give it gas, it doesn't gain rpm until I let off the trim. Motor runs perfect except when trimming at mid to high rpm's. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Eliminate the master power switch and test.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Eliminate the master power switch and test.
    Will try this, almost did this but would've assumed I would have seen signs of arcing if there was a problem here. Thanks, will give it a try

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be the exact same advice I would give at this point (in addition to verifying that battery via load test, even if new). Note that you are only slightly above the ENGINE requirements and should consider something 950 or higher CCA for best results.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Alright guys I have an update and thanks for the help so far.
    Had new battery load tested, checked good.
    elimiated master power disconnect
    double checked ground on block
    checked numerous grounds and connections under cowl.
    Double checked all battery connections and proper stacking of terminals (per dons instructions found on here)

Went and lake tested and same issue exists. I ran with nothing on cranking battery but the engine and my power wire that goes to console. I'm never getting a low voltage alarm and I'm seeing 13.8v when running and drops to 12.3v when trimming on lowrance. Haven't got my volt meter involved yet while engine is running. Don't have smart craft. Any other thoughts? Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Premier Sonar; 08-22-2018 at 08:49 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CADDO SKEETER View Post
    Alright guys I have an update and thanks for the help so far.
    Had new battery load tested, checked good.
    elimiated master power disconnect
    double checked ground on block
    checked numerous grounds and connections under cowl.
    Double checked all battery connections and proper stacking of terminals (per dons instructions found on here)

Went and lake tested and same issue exists. I ran with nothing on cranking battery but the engine and my power wire that goes to console. I'm never getting a low voltage alarm and I'm seeing 13.8v when running and drops to 12.3v when trimming on lowrance. Haven't got my volt meter involved yet while engine is running. Don't have smart craft. Any other thoughts? Any help would be appreciated!

If you haven't got your "volt meter involved yet while engine is running", then where are these stated volt meter readings coming from, if you don't have "Smart craft"?

7. Member
    Off his Lowrance......Could be a weak or going bad trim motor pulling to much volts?

8. Member
    If you haven't got your "volt meter involved yet while engine is running", then where are these stated volt meter readings coming from, if you don't have "Smart craft"?
    On my hds 12

9. Member
    You can't trust the readings on your Lowrance to properly diagnose/troubleshoot your problem. Test the voltage at the alternator, and battery, with the RPM's above 2000. Report results.

10. Member
    You can't trust the readings on your Lowrance to properly diagnose/troubleshoot your problem. Test the voltage at the alternator, and battery, with the RPM's above 2000. Report results.
    I will do this, no doubt a meter will be more accurate. what does low voltage alarm go off at? I have yet to have an alarm...

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Voltage alarm threshold varies- normally in the 11.1 to 11.7 VDC range.

Need those voltage readings DIRECT from the battery with a DVOM. Accept nothing else...

While in there, snap a picture of your current battery connections and post it up.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Will do Don, Thanks

13. Member
    Above 2000 rpm voltage on alternator and battery 14.3. Hit trim goes to 13.2,

14. Member
    Above 2000 rpm voltage on alternator and battery 14.3.

15. Member
    Will email you a pic of battery connections don

16. Member
    Above 2000 rpm voltage on alternator and battery 14.3. Hit trim goes to 13.2,
    Is this reading taken from a DVOM connected to the battery?

17. Member
    Is this reading taken from a DVOM connected to the battery?
    Yes. Fluke digital volt meter

18. Member
    Late Update..

Dealer found grommet in the High pressure fuel pump swollen/pinched. They repaired and all is now good.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Late Update..

Dealer found grommet in the High pressure fuel pump swollen/pinched. They repaired and all is now good.
    And this solved the RPM loss or limit that occurred ONLY when operating the trim?

Don I could see how that could happen:
    If the volume was borderline due to the restriction and trimming up caused a 1 or 2 volt drop to the pump, The reduced rpm of the pump might just push it over the edge.
    As you can probably tell I am a stickler for voltage drop testing and this may be a candidate for doing just that. May have more than one problem
    Last edited by lpugh; 02-27-2019 at 01:23 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast