Thread: Hard wiring...

Banned

Hard wiring...

I purchased a new 2018 Bullet 21XRS and would like to get rid of the trolling motor plug at the bow. What to I need to do in order to"hard wire" the trolling motor???... I'm running a Minn Kota 112 Fortrex... What parts and where do I buy them???... Dan

2. Member
    I would get the battery tender plug instead. It's much better than the old style plugs. In my phoenix there is a terminal block under the dash up front where the wires connect. You can find one at west marine I'm sure, just make sure they are independent circuits.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    I purchased a new 2018 Bullet 21XRS and would like to get rid of the trolling motor plug at the bow. What to I need to do in order to"hard wire" the trolling motor???... I'm running a Minn Kota 112 Fortrex... What parts and where do I buy them???... Dan
    Unless you plan on complete removal of the plug in the boat, I would drill a small hole large enough for the wires under the plug. Run the wires through the hole and back to the plug. Connect the trolling motor wires to the correct battery wires using the back of the plug connections as a junction. When doing so, make sure the you have the ability (cutoff breaker or battery cutoff switch) to disconnect the trolling motor from the batteries.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    In addition to what John said (which I just did on my Bullet 21SDC) you can run the TM wire through the rubber grommet wire hole in the front of the foot pedal pan if you have one instead of drilling a hole in the boat. I also installed a marinco hinged weather cover over the receptacle. I purchased it on amazon. Marinco Part# 2030FL.

5. Member
    What's wrong with having a plug ?

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin 180 View Post
    What's wrong with having a plug ?
    Nothing wrong and it is a convenience if you need to remove the TM or unplug it to charge the Batteries like the old Rangers but it is another failure point. That being said I only had one failure over 25 years and there are better plugs available now than when I was using them. Just a personal choice.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 08-22-2018 at 03:59 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Nothing wrong and it is a convenience if you need to remove the TM or unplug it to charge the Batteries like the old Rangers but it is another failure point. That being said I only had one failure over 25 years and there are better plugs available now than when I was using them. Just a personal choice.
    Thanks I just wasn't sure if there was a advantage or disadvantage.