Advantage of New/Bigger Batteries

Will newer or bigger batteries increase the power of a trolling motor or just increase the battery life?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Just battery run time and life. Power is the same.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    So switching from a Group 27 to a Group 29 or 31 wouldn't have an affect on the output/power of the TM, just the battery life?

4. Banned
    Battery life or Run time. Power the same.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Battery life or Run time. Power the same.
    Over the course of the battery life, will the power diminish? For example, when the batteries only has 20% charge will the trolling motor set on 10 have the same power as if the batteries had 100% charge?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    Over the course of the battery life, will the power diminish? For example, when the batteries only has 20% charge will the trolling motor set on 10 have the same power as if the batteries had 100% charge?

As the battery runs down, it will not provide as many volts, thusly the motor won't be running as powerful. Have you noticed when the batteries are starting to die, your electronics are not performing as well?

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    So switching from a Group 27 to a Group 29 or 31 wouldn't have an affect on the output/power of the TM, just the battery life?
    Right. And I think you are confusing the terms battery life and run time. Battery life is how long until you need to replace them. Run time is how long you can fish in a day.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfishsmallcamera View Post
    As the battery runs down, it will not provide as many volts, thusly the motor won't be running as powerful. Have you noticed when the batteries are starting to die, your electronics are not performing as well?
    Yes, however the discharge voltage curve of a lead acid is very non-linear.....if you are waiting until the TM noticeably slows down ("starting to die"), the battery is being overly discharged.

The power (top speed) of the trolling motor throughout the "safe discharge" of the battery is reasonably constant (the flatter part of the voltage curve) .

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfishsmallcamera View Post
    When I first put in in the mornings I can run on 4 or 5 and cover water at a good speed but after running the TM for about 3 hours or so I end up having to crank it up to 7 or 8 to get the same type of speed out of the TM. Batteries are 4 year old Everstarts that stay on the charger when not in use.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Yes, however the discharge voltage curve of a lead acid is very non-linear.....if you are waiting until the TM noticeably slows down ("starting to die"), the battery is being overly discharged.

The power (top speed) of the trolling motor throughout the "safe discharge" of the battery is reasonably constant (the flatter part of the voltage curve) .
    I agree with these statements

11. Member
    With a larger capacity battery, you will have more power longer. This is with a typical lead-acid or AGM battery. A Lithium, Nickel-Cadmium, or other specialized cell delivers its voltage, under load, at a constant value until failure. A Lead Acid has a downward slope to its voltage as its reserve is diminished.
    A newer battery will be more efficient. If you got the money, buy new and big.

12. Member
    When I first put in in the mornings I can run on 4 or 5 and cover water at a good speed but after running the TM for about 3 hours or so I end up having to crank it up to 7 or 8 to get the same type of speed out of the TM. Batteries are 4 year old Everstarts that stay on the charger when not in use.
    It sounds like your batteries are at the end of their life. Get new ones. 4 years is pretty good for wet batteries.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    It sounds like your batteries are at the end of their life. Get new ones. 4 years is pretty good for wet batteries.
    ^^ What he said ^^