Question Deer hunting Units 11 and 12. Any help appreciated.

My group drew tags in eastern part of state this year. The plan is to hunt the WIHA lands.
    I think we need a backup plan.
    they do not want to pay an outfitter.
    the hunt is more important than the kill.

i grew up in Kansas when you could meet the owner/farmer and ask permission which I got 9 out of 10 times.

would anyone have any suggestions or recommendations to acquire access to some private lands in those units?
    much appreciated.

Good luck, the days of asking permission and getting to hunt are over. Bow or riffle? Not a deer hunter, so what area are you talking about? How many people are in your group?

3. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Deer hunting has become such big business that most of the land in Eastern and Southeast Ks is leased up or they have family that hunts. WIHA and kdwpt lands are here to use but the crowds are on them also. Not saying you won’t find a place but it could prove very difficult.

You might find find a place to pay to hunt short term.

4. Member
    4 guys hunting rifle. Unit 12 and 11 ate the SE portion of the state that covers a pretty big area. We live in Tulsa area so it is straight north of us. Pittsburg, is in the middle of it.
    Any suggestions on where to look for land lease or access would be appreciated.

5. Member
    It goes east of Pittsburg west to almost ark city. Then it goes quite a ways north.
    i have checked outfitters who want $$$$ which is a lot to me for 5 days.
    But they put stands and feeders out which I guess you have to do. But sitting there waiting for baited animals is not really hunting to me or my friends. They like cover ground.
    Last year we walked for 3 solid days. Saw shooter bucks each day. Only one guy got one shot and no deer but we had a great time.
    A landowner pulled up and said “thanks boys”. We said for what? He said for driving that buck to me. He said it was a good one but suffered instant ground shrinkage. Then the big buck stepped out to take a look. He said he put his scope on him and thought about it for a second and then decided not to pull the trigger. Good thing he said as the game warden drove up on him 2 minutes later!

i have never killed a deer and probably won’t. I like waterfowl and upland hunting with grandkids. But I enjoy my deer hunting friends and like walking through Kansas as I used to as a kid with my hard hunting Dad. He was great!

just like fishing, you have to love the outdoors and I do.

I know there have been some guys who have had success in Woodson County around the state lake in different years. Toronto lake is a good area also for walk in. Good luck.