2007 250 Pro XS too quiet

A buddy of mine and I were talking yesterday about how quiet the Pro XS is compared to the 2.5 hipo motors we have ran. The question is if you drilled holes in the midsection like the 2.5 bass can would it harm the ProXs or optimal motor?
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

2. Member
    Drilling holes serves no purpose, and can hurt performance.

Yes I know that it serves no purpose other than noise. Over the years I’ve done a bunch on 2.5 L motors for people. He just wondered if it would effect the computer on that motor. I don’t know much about them

4. Member
    It wont effect the computer, but it can diminish performance.

5. Member
    Why on earth would you want an outboard louder? I wish they were quieter. If you want loud get a jet boat with a 500cui dry stack sitting in it.

6. Member
    Who Rides a Harley that sounds like a Honda Gull Wing???? NO ONE LOL

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Member
    Now this is an odd subject. LOL. I want to put a muffler on mine.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Will not affect the PCM. Could (potentially) affect airflow, but I honestly doubt it would accomplish even that.

Just a noisier, and weaker mid.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Guys I ran a offshore midsection on my xb2002 so I know what noise is. It was just a conversation my buddy and I had the other night. Coming from a Mercury 245 carb motor the drank gas to my 250XS that sips it. I’m leaving mine alone. But as Diawa Kid says no one buys a Harley to sound like a Honda Goldwing

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Change the tuner. At least one aftermarket one available for 3.0 motors
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

11. Banned
    Always liked the finely tuned "tinny" sound of a Merc racing engine... And the smell of 2 stroke in the morning air... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Allison View Post
    Guys I ran a offshore midsection on my xb2002 so I know what noise is. It was just a conversation my buddy and I had the other night. Coming from a Mercury 245 carb motor the drank gas to my 250XS that sips it. I’m leaving mine alone. But as Diawa Kid says no one buys a Harley to sound like a Honda Goldwing
    In the old days you could be on the lake and hear a old merc start up in the middle of the night that had some exhaust mods...if it was close enough and you smelled the klotz oil even better....I agree to quiet now
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs