Question 2015 ZX 225 Ride

My dad has a 2012 ZX 21 that is one of the best riding boats I’ve driven. I was wondering how the 2015 ZX's compare to the 12's. I'm in the early stages of looking for a boat, and have found a few 225's that I could pick up under $40K. Beyond the ride, are there any features in the 15's that you don't like?
    Last edited by TXAGGIE; 08-16-2018 at 11:09 AM.

The ride is not that great in the new ZX225. It's shorter and wider than your dad's boat, so it won't ride as soft. That's really the only complaint that I have with the new ZX225. It's an excellent fishing platform.

The cooler lid is a common complaint, but it's not difficult to deal with. I just make sure the lanyard is inside before I close the lid. It's that simple.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

3. Member
    Would you say it’s significant difference or just a minor difference? I expect the shorter boat to be a little tougher.

4. Member
    It’s not significant once you learn to drive the new one it rides great I have zero complaints on mine it’s a 2017 not sure if they changed the hull from 15 to 17 but mine rides smooth. Opinions will vary see if you can take a ride in it

absolutely do what utinator said on the cooler lid and you’ll never have an issue with it
    Last edited by Bigcountry35; 08-16-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry35 View Post
    It’s not significant once you learn to drive the new one it rides great I have zero complaints on mine it’s a 2017 not sure if they changed the hull from 15 to 17 but mine rides smooth. Opinions will vary see if you can take a ride in it

absolutely do what utinator said on the cooler lid and you’ll never have an issue with it
    Could you expand on learning to drive it?

My dad's 12 has the same lid. Not a big deal to me.

6. Member
    It will drive and handle a little different than the 2012 as the hull design is different it’s not a big deal to drive and you will adjust very quickly to it since you’re familiar with skeeters but as with all boats you will have to find the sweet spot with trim and prop height which will help the ride/handling.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

7. Member
    The ZX21 is a 21ft boat and would be similar to the ZX250. The ZX20 would be a closer comparison.

The weight distribution is different on the newer boats due to the fuel tank being moved forward a few feet.

Driving different is really a matter of matching trim and speed with the conditions. I find the ride on the new boats on par with the FX. A buddy has the FX21 and I have the ZX250. Same ride. That being said I think they ride a little flatter that the ZX20/21 did. To me the bow rise is not as pronounced when trimming up.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Owned and been in plenty of Skeeters. Ride is not as good on the newer Zx225. What I have experience is it cuts small stuff really well, and better than previous Zx models. They take the real rough stuff as good, but its the middle stuff that is typical on a day-to-day trip that it falls down in. Then again it is really opinionated as people will say an I class rides rough. Yet again I spend roughly 6% of my time running on plane during the day. Far more important features to ride IMO.

9. Member
    I have a 2018 zx225 my fishing partner has 2015 zx225 - I know ride is subjective but honestly I can't tell any difference other than the layout of the boat is different - They both to me do everything the same - The only difference is his will run 76 and mine will only run 73 - Both boats stock everything

Quote Originally Posted by TXAGGIE View Post
    Would you say it’s significant difference or just a minor difference? I expect the shorter boat to be a little tougher.
    You will only notice the different in rough water. If you only fish FCL (Fayette County lake), or Coleto Creek, then you won't find water too rough for the ZX225. If you fish the bigger lakes, just watch the weather forecast to see what the winds are gonna be like. I wouldn't recommend fishing Rayburn, Livingston, Palestine, T-Bend, Richland-Chambers or Cedar Creek with a north or south wind over 20 mph. Those lakes are rough in 21-footers under those conditions. If you go to Conroe, just get off the water before all the A-holes in those 40ft half yachts start cruising around. Don't even think of going to Choke with a 20mph south-east wind. I almost swamped my 21ft Ranger there. Can you say...gator bait!
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    You will only notice the different in rough water. If you only fish FCL (Fayette County lake), or Coleto Creek, then you won't find water too rough for the ZX225. If you fish the bigger lakes, just watch the weather forecast to see what the winds are gonna be like. I wouldn't recommend fishing Rayburn, Livingston, Palestine, T-Bend, Richland-Chambers or Cedar Creek with a north or south wind over 20 mph. Those lakes are rough in 21-footers under those conditions. If you go to Conroe, just get off the water before all the A-holes in those 40ft half yachts start cruising around. Don't even think of going to Choke with a 20mph south-east wind. I almost swamped my 21ft Ranger there. Can you say...gator bait!
    Utinator is pretty spot on I fish Rayburn and Conroe during the summer Conroe is a zoo was there 3 weeks ago wind was 15 waves 3-4 foot and then all the wake boats and 40’ plus boats started hitting the lake at 10:30 waves were 5’ easily it handles them well if you’re used to them but it takes some driving needless to say we were off the lake at 11 am, been on Rayburn and watched center console 26’ boats load up I ran south to the 147 bridge seemed calm until the ride back came around the the rocks along 147 went under the bridge to head to Jackson hill starring at 6 footers made it back fine but don’t want to do it and won’t do it again if I have the choice, no bass boat is made to handle 6 foot waves but it can be done if it has to be but wouldn’t recommend it. 3 to 4 footers are not to bad 3 and under start skipping them if you’re running into them. I’ve been on Rayburn and seen waves go from 6 inches to 6 foot in a matter of minutes.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

12. Member

However Conroe does pay off if you make it down there and can deal with the morons
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

13. Member
    Excuse the Legend hat it was from the Legend owners tournament I fished with my buddy out of his Alpha 211, he said that the hat is the reason I caught the fish
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles