First boat 91 Ranger 485 Comanche

Bought an old ranger the other day,looks in nice shape other than full of pinebneedles and dirt. Has a 91 yammy 150,prov. Theres only 258hrs on the meter and the motor is clean as a whistle. Putting it in the water for first run tomorrow ,hope the motoris good, starts up easily in the yard on garden hose. My plan is to polish this old girl up and get back to fishing.
    The boat migrated from Florida to Nova Scotia a few years ago. Must of never been in salt water.
    ill see if I can post some pictures.
    Last edited by NovaScotiaBassBoat; 08-15-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Looks like a great boat to start with !! A little elbow grease and time and you'll be stylin', lol !! I had a 225 Pro-V and loved it. BUT, ya gotta run Yamaha Ring Free in the fuel. They have a tendency to carbon up and Ring Free keeps em clean and firing. Good luck and enjoy !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Welcome to the Ranger family.

wmitch2
    I have an 08 VMAX 250. Should I be using ring free in it?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Very nice looking boat. I’d get rid of that strap stretched across the gunwales, because it will rub the heck out of your gel coat when it vibrates. A good set of tie-downs that hook from the trailer to the rear tow eyes is the answer. Enjoy! — JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Yeah,I had nothin that would fit thru the eyes on the trailer so the strap was a quick fix. Ran the boat first time today,was crazy windy and rough on the lake.motor worked fine but the stearing is wicked stiff especially to the left. I tried to adjust the little finnbut it needs some special socket,which I dont have. Most I got out of the motor was about 3000rpm due to the high winds. The boat ran about as fast as my old jet boat at wot so this should do pretty good on some flat water.

how do the seats come out of the fittings.i pushed the black button at the base but couldn't budge the seat post.
    also had to rewire the bilge pump and instal a manual switch.

hoping for a calmer day on the water tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by patcal19 View Post
    Welcome to the Ranger family.

wmitch2
    I have an 08 VMAX 250. Should I be using ring free in it?
    Absolutely !! Any 2-cycle will build up carbon on the pistons. I'm running an Optimax now and run Quick Kleen, which is the Mercury version of Ring Free. I changed plugs at 350 hrs, and they would have gone farther. I've got 427 hrs now and running strong.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents