Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Something else to B!!Ch About, New Skeeter leaking compartments

So The last post on the 2018 trailer issue post was from someone saying, ok they fixed it, now find something else to Bi!Ch about.

Well I have found something on my new 2018 ZX 225. I fished in the rain last weekend and guess what, yep, all my front compartments got a lot of water in them and soaked everything. As I was inspecting where the water was coming from, I noticed most of it was coming from the screws they had in the lips. Water was getting in the channels between the compartment openings which is normal, but that water was seeping through the screws that hold down the black trim. I’ve never seen this black trim on other boats, it’s usually just fiberglass. In any case, it’s creating a wet mess. Yes, I’m sure my dealer will fix it, just curious if anyone else with a new skeeter has experienced this? And be aware if you own a new Skeeter and haven’t fished in the rain you might have the same problem.

For those of you Skeeter die hards, I’m not bashing, I’m simply stating facts and asking others for solutions. I really want to like this boat but I continue to find problems. It sure fishes good and rides good, eventually all these issues will hopefully be resolved.

2. Member
    Oh and to continue with negativity, my 20 hour service showed my Yammy was making oil, yes I know, it’s not the boat manufacturer but none the less, another thing to deal with on my Skeeter.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    Oh and to continue with negativity, my 20 hour service showed my Yammy was making oil, yes I know, it’s not the boat manufacturer but none the less, another thing to deal with on my Skeeter.
    mine does not make oil not sure how hard you drive it but idle time when they are new will cause this as the rings are not seated, you probably followed the break in procedure by the book as well just my guess, I was told By my dealer when I bought my 17 last year to hang my foot in and forget about what the manual says just don’t run more that 5 minutes at any given rpm for the first couple hours it’s worked like a charm. When you get it back keep the motor trimmed all the way down and run the crap out of it forget fishing for the day just run it hard varying the throttle while trimmed all they way down and you’ll seat the rings and have no more problems. As far as leaks mine has stayed dry but several people say they have had some leaking boxes not sure good luck
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

4. Member
    I followed break in procedures. My dealer said drive it like you stole it which I feel like I do, guess I need to give it more hell!

5. Member
    Run it hard trimmed in a couple time for about 45 minutes each and let cool between each cycle about 15 minutes make sure you are using ring free in your fuel as well
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

6. Member
    So The last post on the 2018 trailer issue post was from someone saying, ok they fixed it, now find something else to Bi!Ch about.

Well I have found something on my new 2018 ZX 225. I fished in the rain last weekend and guess what, yep, all my front compartments got a lot of water in them and soaked everything. As I was inspecting where the water was coming from, I noticed most of it was coming from the screws they had in the lips. Water was getting in the channels between the compartment openings which is normal, but that water was seeping through the screws that hold down the black trim. I’ve never seen this black trim on other boats, it’s usually just fiberglass. In any case, it’s creating a wet mess. Yes, I’m sure my dealer will fix it, just curious if anyone else with a new skeeter has experienced this? And be aware if you own a new Skeeter and haven’t fished in the rain you might have the same problem.

For those of you Skeeter die hards, I’m not bashing, I’m simply stating facts and asking others for solutions. I really want to like this boat but I continue to find problems. It sure fishes good and rides good, eventually all these issues will hopefully be resolved.
    The black trim is not really trim but aluminum decking. All of the lids rest on this decking. There is one grid for the front and one for the back. Skeeters says the aluminum grid is stiffer than fiberglass and lighter. The screws hold the aluminum decking to the fiberglass top cap. I believe they "glue" it down as well as the screws. There may have not been enough sealant around the screws to prevent the water intrusion or the sealant dried before they screwed it down. I think an easy fix but not something you should have to deal with.

I fished in the rain too but mine are dry as a bone.

So far my boat has done very well. Jury still out on the trailer. They gave me a new bow roller today (2019 style). The trolling motor was the biggest issue but now that's fixed (not really a Skeeter issue).
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Thanks for the insight Rick, yes, I believe the screws are just not sealed, in fact, a couple of them I can unscrew by hand. I need to get the 19 style bow roller also. What was up with your TM? I had to have them replace my first Ultrex due to water intrusion in the TM shaft, I haven't had any issues with the replacement.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry35 View Post
    Run it hard trimmed in a couple time for about 45 minutes each and let cool between each cycle about 15 minutes make sure you are using ring free in your fuel as well
    I did this in break in, now dealer says it needs some hard running over 5500 Rpms for extended periods of time.

My 2016 ZX225 (30 months old NOW) has been the worst of about 7 Skeeters over 40 years...nothing w/Yamaha thankfully...

MK foot pedal board AND MK charger had to be replaced...
    troll rope popped...
    bait tray bottom simply caved in it was so thin and got free replacement...
    YES, the compartments get water in a heavy rain...

I took Brandon P advice and added weatherstripping which helped some BUT I store 90% of my stuff in freezer zip-loc or used peanut butter jars...
    >>>I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT for ALL Skeeter owners and boat owners in general<<<

Then Gen 3 Lowrance after 5 miles of rain a couple months back...went out and was replaced in warranty...

***all this in under 30 months for a $52,000 bass rig*** ....I am starting to dread when the warranties run out.

(BTW, am not a basher...toured factory and fished 2 Skeeter Owner events)

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

10. Member
    Thanks for the insight Rick, yes, I believe the screws are just not sealed, in fact, a couple of them I can unscrew by hand. I need to get the 19 style bow roller also. What was up with your TM? I had to have them replace my first Ultrex due to water intrusion in the TM shaft, I haven't had any issues with the replacement.
    I had a bad armature - it broke two sets of brushes. They replaced all of the insides and replaced the control board. It runs very smooth now.

If you have loose screws that tells me they over torqued them and stripped the fiberglass. Again, an easy fix but it shouldn't need to be.
    Having visited the factory as well they could use a bit more automation and better tools.
    I think the overall design and engineering is great, it just doesn't always get executed well.

Unfortunately all boat manufacturers rely heavily on third-party vendors for parts and entire systems. I don't think there is one out there that makes everything on the boat.
    Part of the issue with this is that the different third-party don't always play well together. My charger plug is a prime example. It does not fit very well in the plug holder. The older Minn Kota plug fit easily. I have to struggle to get it to work with the new style plug. They also changed the size of the bow eye so now the winch hook and emergency strap hook struggle for space in there.

I love my Skeeter but I shake my head over these types of things.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    check the deck lid hinges

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelman View Post
    I took Brandon P advice and added weatherstripping which helped some BUT I store 90% of my stuff in freezer zip-loc or used peanut butter jars...
    I was going to do that on mine and changed my mind. I have roughly 80' of this stuff sitting in my storage. If anyone wants it I will make you a good deal.

13. Member
    Sorry to hear about your latest issue. My last skeeter had lots of issues, some due to the dealer and some due to Skeeter. So far with this one some dealer issues and of course the POS trailer. Had issues with my motor but that seems to have been fixed. My motor the oil level went from about a little over half to about 3/4 before the 20 hour change. Then it rose to that again after and now my motor has at least 40 hours and last time I checked it was close to the full mark. I broke it in like my dealer said and made sure to run it hard dung the first 20 hours. I do a lot of idling and don't run it real hard now unless I'm in a tourney. I'm not buying that run it like you stole it crap either. The motor was made to run it how ever I want to run it. If other people want to run WOT all the time good for them. I'll check the oil again soon and see where it is and deal with it then. My brother has a 2011 SHO with only 125 hours with most of those under WOT and his has never had high oil level and he broke it in by the book. Have your dealer show you the hour history then you will know how you broke it in.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

14. Member
    I have a 2018 ZX 225 and I was pulling it home and it rained for about 30 min. All my front compartments got wet. Have not had a chance to try to figure out where it’s coming from yet. I’ll probably let my dealer take a look at it soon.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelman View Post
    My 2016 ZX225 (30 months old NOW) has been the worst of about 7 Skeeters over 40 years...nothing w/Yamaha thankfully...

MK foot pedal board AND MK charger had to be replaced...
    troll rope popped...
    bait tray bottom simply caved in it was so thin and got free replacement...
    YES, the compartments get water in a heavy rain...

Then Gen 3 Lowrance after 5 miles of rain a couple months back...went out and was replaced in warranty...

***all this in under 30 months for a $52,000 bass rig*** ....I am starting to dread when the warranties run out.

(BTW, am not a basher...toured factory and fished 2 Skeeter Owner events)
    the tray and water in compartments are the only true skeeter issues then..

I would recommend backing out the screws and either dabbing silicone on them and reinstalling or squirting a little silicone in each hole and reinstalling.....easy fix

The 200 Yamaha on my BC does the same thing. They tell me “you’ve got to drive it like you stole it”. It goes against what you’d think if compared to autos but it really does help. Look on the bright side. At least your skeeter will not walk on you. Also just think how many oil making issues there’s going to be on these 8 cylinders.
    2022 Basscat PII
    Mercury 200 Pro XS 4stroke

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamayates View Post
    The 200 Yamaha on my BC does the same thing. They tell me “you’ve got to drive it like you stole it”. It goes against what you’d think if compared to autos but it really does help. Look on the bright side. At least your skeeter will not walk on you. Also just think how many oil making issues there’s going to be on these 8 cylinders.
    Ha ha. The reason I don't understand the "run it like you stole it" thing is if that was true there would be no shortage of oil out there. Go to any busy lake on any weekend and you will see many pontoon and pleasure boats along with fishing boats with four stroke motors on them. You don't see those being run WOT all the time. Are they just not checking their oil or having many engine issues we don't know about? There was an article in the FLW magazine where they say one benefit of a four stroke is you can idle all the time and not have to worry about carbine buildup. I broke my motor in exactly how the dealer and Yamaha said to do. If there is an issue with "making oil" it's a Yamaha problem not a usage problem.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Ha ha. The reason I don't understand the "run it like you stole it" thing is if that was true there would be no shortage of oil out there. Go to any busy lake on any weekend and you will see many pontoon and pleasure boats along with fishing boats with four stroke motors on them. You don't see those being run WOT all the time. Are they just not checking their oil or having many engine issues we don't know about? There was an article in the FLW magazine where they say one benefit of a four stroke is you can idle all the time and not have to worry about carbine buildup. I broke my motor in exactly how the dealer and Yamaha said to do. If there is an issue with "making oil" it's a Yamaha problem not a usage problem.
    My thoughts exactly except I don’t believe it’s just a Yamaha issue. It’s a “who ever makes a 4 (now possibly 8) stroke” issue.
    I’ve read about mercury, Honda and Suzuki doing the same thing.

Id also be pissed about the wet issue mentioned by OP but I’d suspect the dealer can fix that in a matter of no time.
    Last edited by Bamayates; 08-17-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    2022 Basscat PII
    Mercury 200 Pro XS 4stroke

I am breaking my 2019 250 in by the book, my 3rd time doing it on Sho’s. All have been by the book. Regardless what a dealer says, Yamaha’s way is what matters. If you have an issue and the break in was not done properly could be reason enough to be denied on a issue.
    My last 2 rounds made a little, very little, oil!
    After about 10 hours I changed the oil and filter and ran fairly hard up to the 20 hour mark. Had the 20 service done and was problem free after that. The biggest issue I think is folks not checking the oil properly, over filling and not realizing they overfilled and next time it’s chexked is oh no... Been there..
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

20. Member
    I personally believe Yamaha’s thermostats are to cool running I’ve never seen my sho past 142 degrees, that’s not hot enough to seat the rings in my opinion
    2017 Skeeter ZX250
    2017 Yamaha SHO 250

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast