High idle when shifting gears

I have a 2017 225 pro xs and it sometimes idles high when shifting gears. I just had a diaphragm replaced. Any ideas what it might b?

2. Member
    Is the throttle returning against the stops?

3. Member
    Yes

4. Member
    Which locations do you check it at?

Its under warranty so id take it in.... mine did the same thing and my hot foot was getting stuck just past idle. I found that a had a lure done there that it was getting hooked on

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

6. Member
    Problem needs documented, since the motor is under warranty, for your protection.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1, Have your Dealer inspect/check.

If you would, please take a few minutes to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info with each post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Not an uncommon problem, particularly if you have done anything to the motor. IE replace the rigging tube, or unhook the throttle cable for clearance to get to something else, etc. The cable housing is held in place by a barrel-like device that spins around on the threaded end. One revolution in either direction can cause a problem. I would do the simple test as defined in the service manual. have someone use the throttle-only button and advance the throttle to 45 degrees. Put a single sheet of paper between the idle stop and the throttle linkage at the motor. Have your helper pull the throttle back to idle. The paper should be able to be pulled out without tearing, but it should definitely show some drag when you remove it. Should NOT just pull out easily. Repeat a couple of times. I just helped a guy at the beeswax ramp last week with this problem. His boat was idling too fast some of the time, but not all of the time. When doing the above test, one time there was light friction when pulling the paper out, next time none at all. Doesn't take much to ramp the idle up a couple of hundred RPM (or more). A (I think) 10mm socket is all you need to fix this. Remove the nylock nut that retains the cable end to the throttle linkage, then undo the latch that retains the cable housing near the front. Turn one turn clockwise (looking from rear) and re-install and test again. That will likely cure it. This is way too easy a fix to waste the time running it to/from a shop, IMHO.

I recently replaced the rigging tube on my motor and disconnected everything. Sure enough, the throttle cable adjustment moved even though I used some tape to hold both still. Apparently not enough. Took less than 5 minutes to re-adjust after everything was re-connected.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200