Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Sprint boats????

Not much in the Sprint forum to tell. I have a chance to get a 1998 286DC with a Johnson 150 on it. I've never seen one before let alone fish in one. Are(where) they good boats? Problem childs? This one has been garage kept and is in mint condition. I'm going tonight to do a compression check on the engine then take it to the lake this weekend to test it if I like it tonight. .

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Good rigs, I have a 207 with a 250 hp engine. The 286 is a good rig the 150 will carry it well. as with any engine and hull used, do your homework. We do have a Sprint forum on the boards and several own them. Travis Edition rigs had some corners cut to drive down costs, but most are still happy with them.

3. Banned
    The 1998 is before the Travis Edition. It should be a solid hull. Like Bassmeister says do you homework and take a friend to dampen the enthusiasm. All In all the 207DC I owned was a well build boat, too bad they got sucked in by Travis... Dan

4. Moderator
    My childhood best friends dad was the plant manager for years and the production plant in amory, ms. He ran a new boat every year and a sprint was the first boat I remember going over 70 in. Several of the sprint models were rockets and would fly. Not sure what happened to the brand but that building is now the nautic star factory. Several guys ran sprints and I never heard them complain.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I still would love to get my hands on a 221 with my 250 on it.

6. Member
    Several around here had one. They were happy with the boat. Ive never been in one so I cant say of the ride.

7. Banned
    Thanks everyone. I'm not one to complain about a rough ride. Compression checked out good tonight. Stood around in the boat while it was on the trailer. Didn't feel any soft spots. Transom seems good. Hull is spotless not a scratch. No fade in any gel coat and even the original seat covering looks good. He going to take me out in it this weekend.

8. Member
    Great hulls. We still see a few down here. They were really popular back in the late 80’s early 90’s. A buddy of mine had one - 17.5ft with a 150 XR4. That thing would haul the mail.

I have a friend with a Sprint and it’s a nice ol boat. I have also have a few in my shop and they all seem to be fine. I would not be scared of one the condition you’re speaking of.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Banned
    Heard some bad bad stuff about the Travis edition.

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Yeah, Travis Edition boats from what I heard were laid up thin and light due to the target price for Travis Boats. Ended up being the downfall of Sprint. There are 2-3 in my club here in Abilene, TX. Don't think they were the only brand that had the curse of Travis Boating Centers ...

So, if it has Travis Edition decals on it ... run!!

My next door neighbors son has one and it seems to be a nice boat

13. Member
    I agree with the others if it's not a TE and in the shape you describe you may have just ran across a gem.

14. Member
    I had a 16 foot sprint for a few years and I really liked it

15. Member
    I had a 286 single console which I loved. Great layout and no complaints.

16. Member
    I have a 1998 286 Pro Tournament (single console) with a 150 Yamaha. I'm happy with it.

17. Member
    I had a 296 pro with 250 merc,great boat except gelcoat problems
    Outlaw Bass

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    As Dan said....98 model year was before Travis Editions....

Used to fish with a guy that had one , don't remember the model but it only had a 115hp on it but damn would that little thing get up and flat haul ass ,, and for it's size I remember that the live wells were huge,

20. Member
    I run a 94 Sprint 286, with a Yamaha Pro V175. I've had it now for about 8 years and it's been a great boat for me. Gel Coat isn't in pristine condition, but on a boat that's 19 year old boat, I wouldn't expect it to be. It's run about 65 with full load and low 70's with a light load. I've had co anglers, who immediately after getting to our first spot, tell me that it's the smoothest riding boat they've ever been in. I've been in other boats that I feel will ride better in rough water, but this one is ok in it as long as you know how to drive it. If it's as solid looking as you say it is, take it for a test drive/ride. An engine at idle isn't the same as an engine under full load.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast