Thread: Katy vs Humble

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I saw a bumper sticker a while back that said "Forget the wall, Finish 290"..
    Yeah I saw that.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Member
    Areas around 290 are growing faster than they can expand the concrete. And it’s just starting with the grand parkway.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Areas around 290 are growing faster than they can expand the concrete. And it’s just starting with the grand parkway.

Looking at all that land in between I-10 and 290 , they better start thew construction to expand I 10 and 290.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Looking at all that land in between I-10 and 290 , they better start thew construction to expand I 10 and 290.
    You're right but the thinking is

Toll road - build it and they will come
    Feds/State - wait until they come, then we will build it

5. Member
    Big thanks for all the great feedback from you folks. Got my start date of 9/17 and we have decided on Katy. Got a realtor looking into several rentals that will put the girls in Cinco Ranch or Seven Lakes. They liked the options at both. Looks like I will bus it to work once settled in.

Very excited for for this opportunity, definitely life changing for the family. I’ve only ever lived in the east coast so this will be a heck of an adventure!

6. Member
    It will be an adventure for sure!

I came to the party late but have been in the Tomball area for 26 years, it has grown a bunch. My oldest daughter teaches at Tomball Memorial, great school from what I can see.

I don't think you can go wrong with the area you chose though.

And I think I read your girls are into volleyball, very strong club programs across the city.

Oh and be prepared to learn the names of the highways, took us a while! Then there are the car-b-ques!

Good luck.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

Quote Originally Posted by Tundah View Post
    Big thanks for all the great feedback from you folks. Got my start date of 9/17 and we have decided on Katy. Got a realtor looking into several rentals that will put the girls in Cinco Ranch or Seven Lakes. They liked the options at both. Looks like I will bus it to work once settled in.

Very excited for for this opportunity, definitely life changing for the family. I’ve only ever lived in the east coast so this will be a heck of an adventure!
    Ah..... U'll be close to me. We are zoned to Tompkins.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    So 2 cars, 2 teenagers, 2 dogs, my wife and mother, and 16 hours in the cars we made it last week! Had a last minute change before we left. The property we were going to rent apparently had major mold so that was a no go, but they had another bigger house in the same community that I got them to match the original rent. No gas for about 4 days since they messed up our appointment so lots of cold showers.

Katy is definitely as described. Pretty much a major suburb with everything you need somewhere nearby.

Went through the vehicle registration process (completely out of order of course lol) and got my toll pass. Side note had to order an oem front bracket for my Titan plate due to the darn angle.

My my wife has worked vigorously this week to get the girls enrolled in school which they started today. YAY!!

Have tried a few routes to work downtown Houston and yes it’s crazy, but I have flex hours so getting there at 0600 and leaving around 1530 isn’t too bad. 30-50 minutes average.

My biggest observation so far is how freaking nice the folks are here compared to Florida. From the DMV to the Lowe’s and the schools everyone has been super helpful and friendly.

The biggest struggle so far so far and as expected is switching from law enforcement to civilian and corporate life. Gotta reprogram a bit but will be fine with time. My office is sooooo quiet.

Give me a few months to settle and I’ll be reaching out to you guys for some general fishing info.

Cheers

Nate

9. Member
    Glad you made it. Welcome to :mostly: friendly Texas.

Probably the only ornery folks I see are driving on the road. Give 'em room and leave them alone and you should be fine.

Fishing should be good for the next few months. Try to get out during that time. Not to say you can't catch fish all winter...you can.
    rich

Quote Originally Posted by Tundah View Post
    My biggest observation so far is how freaking nice the folks are here compared to Florida. From the DMV to the Lowe’s and the schools everyone has been super helpful and friendly.
    It is hilarious that mention this. When I moved to FL from TX...I definitely noticed the SAME!

NOBODY in FL is as nice as people in TX, that's for sure. Nobody waves here...nobody says hello when you pass in the store or on the sidewalk. It's a totally different atmosphere in Texas. The further you go in the country, the nicer they usually get. The city makes people mean and crazy lol

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123