300 Verado Pro vs V8 Verado?

Howdy,

Can anyone tell me the specific performance differences one would expect to see between these two motors if you swapped out your existing 300 Verado Pro with the new V-8 Verado 300?

In other words, if you put the new Verado 300 on the same boat what would the performance difference be (speed, holeshot, GPH, etc) if any?

Take care,

Ruddiger

The new V8 is not a Verado. Verados are inline 6 cylinder supercharged engines.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    The new V8 is not a Verado. Verados are inline 6 cylinder supercharged engines.
    Incorrect. The new V-8 models are available in Standard Fourstroke, SeaPro, ProXS and Verado Versions. Yes, this includes the 300 (which additionally is also available in Racing configurations as well under the 300R Designation).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

My bad. Thank you Don.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

A v8 has the chance to come in much less weight, so 300hp in Ohio id take the lightest model for best of everything
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    I think it will be difficult to get any hard performance numbers from any consumers at this point. Dealers who have rigged or sold the v8 may be able to provide you with better info. I suspect most people will be buying the pro XS version rather than the verado, depending on how it is configured it could be around a 150 lbs lighter than an L6 verado, on some hulls this may be more of an advantage tha others. Verado to verado not so much weight difference maybe 50 lbs? Fuel economy probably better on the v8, I wonder how they will compare on hot days or at altitude. I would expect merc has these sorted out so the hole shot is AT LEAST as good. I have the L6 and would be interested in a verifiable comparison as well.

7. Member
    Howdy,

Man, there really is not a lot of information out there. To change it up, can someone, possibly Don, speak to the differences between the new V8 Verado 300 and the new V8 Pro XS 300?

It seems that some of the features on the Verado, like DTS and power steering, can be had on the 300 Pro XS. If that is added to the 300 Pro XS, what does the V8 Verado have that the Pro XS doesn't, aside from lower sound and the anti vibration mounts?

Take care,

Ruddiger

Power steering, joystick piloting option, and the mounts you mentioned, not worth the 100 pounds
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Power steering, joystick piloting option, and the mounts you mentioned, not worth the 100 pounds
    Howdy,

Is that it? How different is the Verado steering from the power steering options on the Pro XS? I assume the Pro XS will be faster as well with less weight and 200 extra RPMs?

Take care,

Ruddiger

10. Member
    I also saw in a video verado versions of v8 have an option to run silent. or have the pro xs growl for more jam . and recall they have the much larger gearcase. more robust but more drag.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
    Howdy,

Man, there really is not a lot of information out there. To change it up, can someone, possibly Don, speak to the differences between the new V8 Verado 300 and the new V8 Pro XS 300?

It seems that some of the features on the Verado, like DTS and power steering, can be had on the 300 Pro XS. If that is added to the 300 Pro XS, what does the V8 Verado have that the Pro XS doesn't, aside from lower sound and the anti vibration mounts?

Take care,

Ruddiger
    Biggest differences are that the Verado version will have the AMS (Advanced MidSection), with the pedestal mount/tilt/steer system that pioneered on the L6 Verado. Features DTS control, and quiet/smooth operation, in a variety of colors, shaft lengths, etc. Given that there are (currently) 144 Distinctly Different Models of the 300hp Fourstroke (NOT counting the Racing models), it's almost impossible to offer a "cookie-cutter" answer to a question such as this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

A difference in features is nice to have but it would seem that a recommendation based on how it will be used might be more useful. For example, bass boat guys or pontoon guys or off shore guys might want this model. Or, some sort of general perspective on what each of the models does better than the the others. IF that’s been stated somewhere else, I missed it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We will have some information out in the FAQ over the coming months on this topic. Has been discussed in a couple of threads- primarily the ProXS line of Fourstrokes is targeted for the Fishing Market.

You can do specific comparisons of the various model lines (Fourstroke, Verado, ProXS and SeaPro) on Mercury's Website:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/