Thread: Z519 Advice

Z519 Advice

In the process of looking at getting a new boat (to me) really liking the 519 just have a few questions.
    1. How do they handle rough water?
    2. How do they do for a big and small water boat?
    3. What kind of speed and performance are y'all getting?

Ill fish small lakes and creeks around north east Texas but i also fish the big water ozark lakes.

Thanks

2. Member
    The 519 will fish great for you. It’s great on small to big water. The ride in rough water will not be as good as the 520 series. I have fished out of my 519VX for twelve years it never disappoints. The 519 is a very maneuverable and is quick out of the hole. It shines around docks and tight water. It also loads and launches great in low water. With a 4x4 tow vehicle you can launch on unimproved ramps with ease. It will also fit in a smaller storage building if you are tight on space. Good luck on your decision.

3. Member
    Thanks I’ve found one in Arkansas that is priced right. It’s an 05 but in good shape looks like.

4. Member
    My 2005 519vx was the best all around bass boat that I ever owned. Rough water ride was very average but layout and fishability was excellent. If Ranger brought it back today with the ability to hold 8' rods, I would sell my Z520c and buy it.

My 2012 Z519 was disappointing. The speed and ride were good but fishability was very disappointing. The slightest breeze would blown it around like a sail boat. The front deck was too short and the center storage with its molded in dividers sucked - nothing seem to fit in it efficiently. They changed the cap a few years later so storage and deck issues were fixed. The fit and trim was good.

I have owned seven Rangers since 1984 and the Z519 is the only one where I regretted the purchase.

5. Member
    I have a 2014 Z119c (really the same as a 519) and absolutely love the boat! I fish The big Lakes ( Okeechobee) and all of the chain lakes in Florida. I think it handles rough water well for what it is! No it's not a 21 footer, but the wind has to really blow for me not to go to the main lake in Okeechobee. Most would probably agree when it blows on the Big O even a much bigger boat will have it's issues. We fish two up front and it doesn't cause much of a problem. You may be right , you can't blast waves with a 25 mph wind, but i'm not a fan of beating my ass up to get to any weight in, in time. I think it fishes well in skinny water and tight places. Low 70's is what she runs with a tournament load and empty livewells. Maybe I would have got a 520 if it would fit in the garage, but for the last couple of years it's been my Girlfriend as the better half Calls it!! Nice Boat...
    2014 Z119c
    225 Pro X\S
    Lowrance
    Powerpoles

6. Member
    Some of you guys are comparing apples and oranges. The 519 VX and z 519 are two diferent hulls. I’ve never heard any good things about the z519 in rough water.

I had another brand 20' boat and traded for my 519c. Much better ride and handling. My wife even says I can only own a Ranger. Maybe if you try and run 70 in the rough stuff, but the ride with a good prop and trimmed down a bit is good.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Some of you guys are comparing apples and oranges. The 519 VX and z 519 are two diferent hulls. I’ve never heard any good things about the z519 in rough water.
    Having owned both, the Z519 is a better rough water ride than the 519VX. However, neither is great.

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    I had another brand 20' boat and traded for my 519c. Much better ride and handling. My wife even says I can only own a Ranger. Maybe if you try and run 70 in the rough stuff, but the ride with a good prop and trimmed down a bit is good.
    The ride in my Z519 is surprisingly good, and dry. I just came out of a Z520 and a Z520c and run quite a bit on Erie. I avoid the roughest water (when I can), but sunny days in the summer always bring out hundreds if not thousands of tuna boats, creating giant wakes. Running a speed to match conditions, as always, is the key. Slightly off-topic to a guy looking at a 519VX, but maybe someone viewing this thread will choose a 519, instead. And oh by the way, the way the boat is rigged can make a huge difference. My 519 with the G2 is so responsive that it is much safer and comfortable to drive on big water than other, less-responsive rigs might be. — JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    The ride in my Z519 is surprisingly good, and dry. I just came out of a Z520 and a Z520c and run quite a bit on Erie. I avoid the roughest water (when I can), but sunny days in the summer always bring out hundreds if not thousands of tuna boats, creating giant wakes. Running a speed to match conditions, as always, is the key. Slightly off-topic to a guy looking at a 519VX, but maybe someone viewing this thread will choose a 519, instead. And oh by the way, the way the boat is rigged can make a huge difference. My 519 with the G2 is so responsive that it is much safer and comfortable to drive on big water than other, less-responsive rigs might be. — JC
    John makes a great point! Driving to match conditions takes precedent over speed. Knowing when to go fast is a personal choice not to be taken for granted.