Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

175 efi serial #og508260 trim issue

Ok I bought boat used and gauge never worked put new gauge in it and sender if the sender is not on motor gauge reads but with it bolted up it will not move but about 1/4 inch on gauge trim all the way up to second stage. Is there anyway the guy before me put the wrong pin that moves the trim tab in any help would be great
    i installed sender 8m0098273
    Last edited by HASLAG; 08-15-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: More info
    2005 champion 196 oh what a ride

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    At the end of the TRIM range (length of the short trim rams), the gauge will normally read 1/4-1/3 range. The remainder of the gauge is for the TILT range.

Are you sure this isn't what you are experiencing?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

It never gets to 1/4 gauge when it is bolted to engine it will full sweep when I have switch off and move sender by hand it is like the pin it sets in is at the wrong angle

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the tri-lobe pin that retains the slotted cross-pin. It may be missing or broken.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check the tri-lobe pin that retains the slotted cross-pin. It may be missing or broken.
    The pin that is in it looks like it goes all the way threw the bracket and has a bolt to trim motor. And the sender rides in the pin unless there is another spacer our something that is missing??

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The tri-lobe pin looks like a big nail- it goes through the tilt cylinder eyelet AND through the slotted crosspin.

Item # 25 (below)

Attached Images Attached Images

The slotted cross pin seams to be moving it the tri lube pin able to be pulled out toward the front of the boat and canthe cross pin put in backwards?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try again?

What do you mean try again?
    Last edited by HASLAG; 08-16-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please try to restate Post# 7 clearly.

The slotted cross pin 26 in the diagram is moving I can see it rotate counter clockwise when I lower the motor.can the cross pin be put in wrong like 180 out? It does not look like it can.the tri-lobe pin be pulled out toward the front of the boat it does not appear to be the cause due to slotted cross pin is moving.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Normally will not make a difference which of the two 180 degree apart points you are at, but there's no harm in trying (if you can remove the trilobed pin). Pin is really considered a one-time use item (technically).

13. Member
    Check the tilt cyld ram is turned the rite way. Had that happen.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very good point- Rick. Suspect you may be right as the trilobe pin usually is driven in from the AFT (rear) side (Post #11 makes it sound like he has it driven in from the forward/front side).

How do I tell if it is turned around any tips for that.
    the tri-lube pin come mes in from the rear of the boat .
    Last edited by HASLAG; 08-18-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: info

Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    slot on cross pin should go to stbd side and should not move when tri lobe pin is installed, drive in from rear
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    slot on cross pin should go to stbd side and should not move when tri lobe pin is installed, drive in from rear
    That is how it is installed

19. Member
    should not move
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Ok the pin does not move the motor moves and makes it look like the pin moves.
    but is there a chance the tilt ram bracket is on backwards will that change the cross pin at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast