Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I usually buy a bag or two at the supermarket and throw them in the bottom basket of our upright freezer in the garage. I downsized my ice chest from 48 qt. to 24 qt., which holds enough G2 and Colas to last me for two days and is the perfect size for only one 7 or 10 lb bag of ice poured on top of the drink containers.

It's hard to believe that you guys are trying to save a dollar on your ice, but very willing to buy $400 rods and reels...for which you pay cash.

2. Banned
    It's not about saving money for me. It's about having to stop some place with the boat loaded and no one to watch it.

I dump the ice maker and use ice packs. If I need more than that I go to Twice the ice store
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

4. Member
    Id rather just stop and buy a bag. Much easier and cheaper. After you purchase a good ice machine, electricity to run it, and the often tear down and cleaning of the ice maker..Things get really nasty. Thats a lot of ice you can buy.

5. Member
    My old fridge that we moved into the garage had storage trays on the door. I use them to make blocks of ice and then store the ice in our chest freezer. I leave the blocks in tact or bust them up depending on what I'm using them for. Someday I might buy a commercial ice maker, but for now this works just fine and only takes a few minutes to fill them up and place em in the freezer.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Id rather just stop and buy a bag. Much easier and cheaper. After you purchase a good ice machine, electricity to run it, and the often tear down and cleaning of the ice maker..Things get really nasty. Thats a lot of ice you can buy.
    This is something people don't think about. We had a ice maker and it would get gross! We used it all the time and it didn't matter. Cleaning that thing was a pain.

We have two refrigerators at home, one at the lakehouse. My wife routinely dumps the ice makers and bags it for later use.
    We rarely run out.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I only need ice to keep drinks cool, so I just use a couple of froze ice bottles and a couple flat style cooler ice packs that cost me about 1.50 each. I run the livewell on auto if I'm fishing a tournament, and haven't had a fish come close to dying doing that even in 90+ degree water.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    We have two refrigerators at home, one at the lakehouse. My wife routinely dumps the ice makers and bags it for later use.
    We rarely run out.
    You got a good one !!!!!

10. Banned
    I put a 20lb bag from one of those 2buck ice stands in mine. Insulated livewell on mu lund keeps ice for 2 days.

11. Member
    Have those ice houses around here too. Pull up right beside it and dont have to worry about leaving the boat unwatchable.
    Praying for a Cure

12. Member
    Kroger half and half bottles,tough bottles,small enough to go in most coolers and a bag on top in the yeti lasts a good while!

13. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Comercial ice makers in parking lots around here, $2.00 bucks like 20 or 25 lbs. ice in bag is what I buy put in freezer at home. Use as needed, load up boat before I pull out.

14. Im wishin I was fishin
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Yup we have those as well. By far cheapest way to get ice in bulk.

One thing I wish bass boats would do is make their coolers hold ice longer than 6 hours on a hot summer day.
    Mine does !

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    I freeze water bottles and dump the ice maker. Works well.
    or the $2 bulk vending machines
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

16. Member
    A lot of money for a really good thing ice maker

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    That to !!!!!
    This plus it lasts longer

18. Member
    I have a really nice portable ice maker and it would never make enough for actual fishing help. We use it to make ice for drinks at the house but it uses so much power and time it made me realize buying ice for coolers Is still the way to go

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    And with a lot of the commercial ice makers the water runs constantly so that is another expense. I can buy a LOT of ice from the store for the cost of a commercial ice maker and the annual expense to run it.
    Hi Mike.

Oh I price ice, i know where its a 1.50 and I know where its 2.50, after all to afford another $400 rod and reel i need to save all the dollars I can.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast