Thread: New V8 problem

New V8 problem

520 ranger 24 tempest , motor will not turn over 5200 rpm

2. Member
    Is that a problem with the motor or setup? Really vague statement.

3. Member
    Tried different props and jackplate hieghts, have 2.2 hrs on motor, is there a rev limiter during 10 hr break in ?

4. Member
    Was your throttle calibrated when you had the motor installed? Mine was only at around 80%. Took it back in and they hooked the motor up to a laptop and adjusted the cables to my hot foot.

5. Member
    Will have them look at that . Thanks

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the REQUIRED info. In a case such as this, it would be helpful if you would provide the suggested items as well (very difficult to assist with performance questions otherwise).

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    It was indeed the throttle cable, removed stop from hot foot and boat ran well

Quote Originally Posted by bigworm89 View Post
    It was indeed the throttle cable, removed stop from hot foot and boat ran well
    Very dangerous if you just removed it. The throttle arm on the engine is just a piece of plastic with a spring tensioner. If you have too much travel on that arm, it literally just pops out. I don't know 100% if the cable has enough travel to do so, but I'd definitely take it back to your dealer and have them set it up right

9. mikesxpress
    Had to remove the hotfoot throttle stop on mine to obtain the full range for the DTS. No issues.

10. Member
    Yes , will reinstall the stop, there is a small gap between the hot foot frame and pedal at full pull on the cable. Now to find the best prop, best so far has been 24 tempest, have tried 23&24 tempest and 24 fury4

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Had to remove the hotfoot throttle stop on mine to obtain the full range for the DTS. No issues.
    Sometimes if the hotfoot is not returning 100% far enough on the IDLE position (ie: spring too loose, idle stop too far out), the cable adjustment will be short on the WOT end.

Something to check...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor