Thread: Alarm

Alarm

2005 200 Opti SN 1B117195 This is a reman merc powerhead also with probably 250 or so hours on it. Went out this morning on a no wake lake and I'm getting 4 beeps about every 2 minutes. Merc Monitor is giving me the alarm "oil remaining 99%". The onboard tank is full and the remote tank is about 7/8 full. I don't see any leaks anywhere. Possible sensor? If so how do I check it? Also when power loading onto the trailer it seemed like the normal power was not there. Guardian mode maybe? Temps and all appear to be normal. Thanks!!

2. Member
    sounds like the float inside the motor mounted oil tank has come apart... the float is a round piece of foam with a metal disk glued to the botom of it which slides up and down on a sensor shaft in the oil tank, these are famous for coming apart, the float goes up but the disk stays down on the shaft sending a low oil warning just as you described... its claimed that this remote oil tank is not repairable but there are ways... Ill not recommend it because its your motor ,,, but I did mine cuz I like to tinker on stuff,, saved me $200 … Mychael By the way a new remote oil tank is easily replaceable

Thanks! I'll take a look at that. I don't have a problem replacing the tank myself but if I read one of the pinned FAQ's right I would have to take it to a dealer to have the pump primed again with a ddt. Getting into a reputable dealer around here this time a year is almost impossible!

ok...dumb question here... how do you get to the float to check it? Never mind... just found a video on it
    Last edited by Astro-T; 08-15-2018 at 01:09 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You don't. You simulate a "full" switch reading, confirm it was an improper float/sensor output, and replace the tank/sensor.

Yes, oil pump prime should be performed on the Computer Diagnostic System (or CDS G3-2018) when replacing oil tank. DDT would do it, if you have access to one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

How do I simulate that? Do I just unplug it and jump the connector to confirm that? I don't have access to either one so I guess I would have to go to a dealer for the prime if thats what it turns out to be. Do you have the tanks in stock Don or would you have to order it? Thanks for the info!!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unplug, jumper across two pins/wires and see if alarm ceases. If it does- replace tank/sensor.

Check with Rhonda (see her post, pinned at the top of the forum) for parts availability and/or pricing/ordering. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Will do! I couldn't create an account on the parts site. Will check it out tomorrow morning and give her a call! Thanks for your help!!

Got my parts from Don and Rhonda today. Thanks for the quick service! Oil tank was the culprit!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar