Thread: Star Tron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. mikesxpress
    Lee is correct.
    My rig goes into intermittent storage Oct-Jan (during deer season) with occasional outings. I keep the tanks full and have been doing this with all my gasoline powered equipment for many years.

2. Member
    Let me clarify I do not disagree with Mike's method. I just never have a full tank of gas in my boat. Also rarely go over a month and use ethanol free. But, if I did go over then the proceedure I outlined would be my method.

3. Member
    Mikesxpress & Gehol, (please don’t take this the wrong way), your logic seems very reasonable to me but I will say what seems to be logical doesn’t always mean it is correct. I’m not disputing either side of the aurgument because I really don’t know if additives work but I will say that I do use them. I may be wasting my money but I’m willing to take the chance. If I’m understanding you correctly from some of your previous posts, the basis of your argument appears to be: How can using such a small amount of chemical make such a difference. To me, that seems to be absolutely logical, BUT I will give you an example where that isn’t the case. I have a 19,000 gallon swimming pool. That equals 2,432,000 ounces or 4,864,000 tablespoons. I have to add 6 ounces of a chemical every week to keep my Phoshpates to a level of 0 parts per billion. If I don’t add this chemical, I will usually have 100-200 parts per billion of Phosphates in my pool which then permits the possible growth of algae. This mixture of chemicals is a ratio of 1:405,333. That is a MUCH MUCH smaller concentration than most of these fuel additives recommend. If I remember correctly, Stabil recommends 1 ounce to 10 gallons, which is a 1:1280 ratio. I don’t remember what
    Startron recommends. It isn’t logical to me that such a small concentration keeps Phosphates out of my pool water, but it DOES. We used to have a neighbor that just recently retired as a Chemical Engineer/Chemist for Exxon Mobil. I had asked her about how such small concentrations of chemicals can have any type of effect. She said it’s not always the amount but HOW the chemical reacts to other chemicals. She said certain reactions can cause other reactions that can cause other chain reactions. So again, your logic seems to be perfectly sound but it may not be correct. In conclusion, I say if you want to use additives, use them: If you don’t want to use them, don’t.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

4. Member
    I keep my boat in storage for about 6 months or so a year and do not have a full tank. I will try to close out this thread by saying thank you to all those users that gave input.

5. Member
    Not the concentration, the product. Alcohol, kerosene, lighter fluid, pale oil and so on.

6. Member
    I have enjoyed reading the pros and cons of the usage of additives. It has been a very entertaining read for me and my entertainment for the day. A lot of good points have been well spoken and I respect everyone's opinion, as someone said we all have one and they often differ. I enjoy this forum.

My carb 150 xr6 runs better with star tron or red stable.
    Does not with stable marine. I have no need to put alcohol additives, ethanol already in the gas.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haveme1 View Post
    My carb 150 xr6 runs better with star tron or red stable.
    Does not with stable marine. I have no need to put alcohol additives, ethanol already in the gas.
    You should be good as far as alcohol goes. Their MSDS shows only kerosine, and hydrotreated petroleum distillates which is similar to kerosine and is where kerosine comes from. Safety data only lists treatment for and exposure limits for kerosine. They only claim to have kerosine and other hydrotreated petroleum distillates in their product. Looks like deorderized kerosine with green dye. Similar to Staybill. You should be good to go, no alcohol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123