rail removal, injectors coming out

Ok, So I was attempting to change out my T'stats while following the instructions provided on the FAQ page for changing them out. When I loosened the rail nuts and gently pulled the rails back some of the injectors came out of the cylinder head. I understand from the that instructional thread and others, that the injector is to remain in the cylinder head, and that if they come out, you should replace immediately so they do not swell on the end, preventing re-installation into the cylinder head. Knowing this, I immediately pushed the rails back into its original place and snugged up the 2 nuts on each rail. I am looking for some guidance on what to do next. I just want to be sure I do not ruin my injectors. Obviously I have to remove the rail and then I need to pull the injectors out of the rail and quickly replace the injectors back into the cylinder head. Any advice on this process or any tips or tricks on how to keep them in the cylinder head in the first place? On the port side all 3 injectors came out and just one on the starboard sided. Or maybe I am just being a little too cautious and it is fairly routine to pop the injector back into the cylinder head. Or at this stage should I turn it over to the professionals?

Thank you for any advice.

04 225 optimax ser# 0T848170
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Slide the rail out while attempting to "assist" the DI's into remaining in the head. If they do come out, carefully remove from rail, inspect o-rings on both ends, lubricate o-rings with oil (same you use in oil tank is fine) and install into head fully-seated. Then proceed with instructions from FAQ section.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Just to be sure...this blue item is the injector correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, that is a Direct (or air) injector. Not "all" are blue (some are black or gray)- YOUR engine should all be blue.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Great. All mine are blue. I think my top one on the starboard side (#1) is leaking. I seem to have a small layer of oil on the cylinder caps just below the #1 injector. Would that be an oring?

Thanks again Don your advice is greatly appreciated.

Rob

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, O-ring, Carbon Dam, or both.

Is this something I can fix or does this need to be done by certified techs?

Thanks

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on which item, and what your mechanical aptitude/experience is.