Trolling motor weights?

Anyone know the difference in weight between the 45" 80# 24V Terrova, Ulterra and Ultrex? If not where can I find these numbers at? Currently running a 54" Minn Kota Fotrex 24 volt 80# thrust and its way to big and heavy for my boat. Trying to lose as much weight as I can on my XB-2003 and this will have an impact which one I buy. Thanks.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 08-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    The 80LB 24V 45" shaft Minn Kota Ultrex weighs in at 63 LB. I weighed the motor and mount on a doctors balance scale before installing it.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I really like my MG x5 24v 80 lb on my xb03, it isnt very heavy

Anyone know what the MG 24V weighs...?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

I can't help exactly but I know my 60" 36v terrova is substantially lighter than my 45" fortrex 15-20 pounds easy
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

My Terrova is 55lbs including the quick change bracket. I have cut all the weight out of the bracket, so it is pretty light.

Of the motors you listed, it has the lightest and smallest (wind footprint). I was shopping the Ulterra for a while, and measured them all at a store, the other two are heavier and a larger profile to push through the air at speed. Not sure what that translates to, but they are bigger. I stuck with mine because it works and didn't need to replace it despite the desire to. When the time comes the Ulterra will replace it. The nice thing about the Terrova is shaft has a cutout for transducer cables. I have side imagining on mine.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    My Terrova is 55lbs including the quick change bracket. I have cut all the weight out of the bracket, so it is pretty light.

Of the motors you listed, it has the lightest and smallest (wind footprint). I was shopping the Ulterra for a while, and measured them all at a store, the other two are heavier and a larger profile to push through the air at speed. Not sure what that translates to, but they are bigger. I stuck with mine because it works and didn't need to replace it despite the desire to. When the time comes the Ulterra will replace it. The nice thing about the Terrova is shaft has a cutout for transducer cables. I have side imagining on mine.
    So does my new Ultrex . But the 36 volt is HEAVY !!

Well, I was leaning towards the Terrova because I figured it was the lightest and I need spot lock. The only reason I haven't considered the Xi5 Motorguide is because I run Humminbird sonars. I think the electric steer has been around long enough it should be trouble free. The only thing I am not sure about is if I am in shallow water and run aground. How easy is it to lift to get free from the shallow water. I know with a standard cable steer troller you grab the lift rope pull and hold it up and off you go. I fish in a lot of tidal shallow areas and its not usual to find you have ran aground.

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    The MG Tour Edition 82 I had on my previous boat (mid-2000s) weighed 50 lbs, mount and motor.

Sorry, was comparing ulterra vs Terrova for adding transducer. I was assuming he was going to rule the U.K. trex our as it’s huge like the One he has.

Gator mount style wins for add ons. The terrova shaft won’t fit a lowrance cable side image xducer. Cable diameter is too large. Atleast it didn’t last long for me

Shallow water is the weakness. You have to grab the head and lift up. It’s out over the edge of the boat so not as easy as a gator. I did it several times this morning. Ulterra you can raise and lower. If you talk to the guys at the trolling motor shops this is how guys break the ulterra. Trying to drive it up after hitting and you have it loaded up.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

If ya dont fish get a 12v,i tourney fish and had a 105 MG, xi5,but dropped back to 24v 80 and it takes an xb03 anyplace i gotta go and will run all wknd w/out a charge on cheap walmart everlast marine 29 batts.

With the Ulterra you have to becareful showing off at the ramp when loading on the trailer while standing on the dock. Surprise big waves and or accidently changing screens not paying attention can lead to mishaps! Now have a little clicking noise to investigate lol but everything still works fine.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

I fat finger the number. My Terrova is 41lbs. That includes a HB side imaging transducers, HP Cables, and bracket. So a stock one is probably 37-38lbs.

I totally agree with the 12V. I ran this boat with a 12V 55 Power Drive for years. Did great as long as I was a fair weather fisherman. At the time I was. If the wind picked up or I fished in current it was a little under powered. It would make the entire day on one Optima group 34 battery.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

My 2013 MG Tour 45"/24V/80 LB weighed 58 LB on same Dr. scale.

I wish I had taken the time to weigh my new 36V Ultrex cuz it is one heavy SOB
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member
    I don’t know what my Ulterra weighs but I do know it’s pretty heavy. However it is the most impressive troller I’ve ever owned bar none. I don’t care what it weighs as long as it don’t lay down on me. Launching has become so easy for me when I am alone that it’s not even a thought anymore. Drop the boat in, deplore, anchor and park the truck. At 112 lbs thrust it can handle the swift currents below dams as well as I can expect anything to perform.

16. Member
    Mine weighs 65 lbs plus or minus a couple of lbs. It has a quick release and transducer.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Something to consider and I ran across this yesterday. The newer Terrova with lift assist spring will not allow you to run the transducer cable in the shaft channel.....unless you completely remove the lift assist.

Also you cannot run the cable through the groove on the Ultrex either....well you could, but the cable cannot pass through the motor housing.

And the belt is in the groove of the Ulterra so its out as well...not to mention that it travels most of the length of the shaft to stow/deploy.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Something to consider and I ran across this yesterday. The newer Terrova with lift assist spring will not allow you to run the transducer cable in the shaft channel.....unless you completely remove the lift assist.

Also you cannot run the cable through the groove on the Ultrex either....well you could, but the cable cannot pass through the motor housing.

And the belt is in the groove of the Ulterra so its out as well...not to mention that it travels most of the length of the shaft to stow/deploy.
    Counting mine I have done 3 that way. They have all been H-Bird Helix units one with SI.
    If you pull the head and slide the shaft out of steering box the aluminum sleeve has a groove in it to allow the passage of cable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Interesting...the unit I attempted it with was a Solix Mega SI on my personal boat....but the mega cable is much larger than the HDSI or DI cable.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Well, I was leaning towards the Terrova because I figured it was the lightest and I need spot lock. The only reason I haven't considered the Xi5 Motorguide is because I run Humminbird sonars. I think the electric steer has been around long enough it should be trouble free. The only thing I am not sure about is if I am in shallow water and run aground. How easy is it to lift to get free from the shallow water. I know with a standard cable steer troller you grab the lift rope pull and hold it up and off you go. I fish in a lot of tidal shallow areas and its not usual to find you have ran aground.
    Terrova is really easy to adjust up in a hurry to clear shallow water. Just lift up then hit power, this will hold it till you let off the power/ move the wingnut.

I also ran hydrowave down the slot via Doug varnberges tips and tricks on YouTube, pretty easy to do, and I am pretty sure I could get a mega ducer too, just needs to be dead center, also new models have lift assist in the channel, I would remove that
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089