New 521 with a 250 proXS 2 stroke,or New V8 4 stroke ?

On the fence here fellas !

I'd be upgrading from a 95 200 EFI on a 488vs, so not even familiar with newer 2 strokes. Not sure on whether to opt for the last of the 2 strokes or move on with the new 4 stroke v8s. Can you help out with your thoughts ? Efficiency and weight wise I believe that they are equal, performance wise, I guess it depends on who you talk to ?? Thanks for any input in helping with my decision !

~Tony

Don't go backward. If you're buying new, buy new.

3. Member
    The only choice for a 2s is Evinrude both Yamaha and Mercury no longer sell 2s motors in the US.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    The only choice for a 2s is Evinrude both Yamaha and Mercury no longer sell 2s motors in the US.
    Could maybe find a new 2018 with a 2 stroke Merc. My dealer has a 519.

5. mikesxpress
    Just repowered my Z21 with one. Not much faster but no more oil adds and extended service cycles make it an easy choice. Mercury has stated they will maintain parts/support for the Opti's for 10 more years and then your on your own.

The price for a 2 vs 4 stroke are very close and the technology is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
    New boat needs a new motor.

6. Member
    Appreciate your thoughts/Input guys ! To add to the plot, the 2 stroke would be part of a demo boat- Z521L, heavily equipped rig, Icon. As opposed to brand new z521c Ranger Cup series, These are equipped well, I would look into upgrading a couple things, but no option, comes with the 4 stroke v8. With those issues, and the uncertainty of having the first year of anything ( 4 stroke v8), It led me to ask for opinions.

Thanks,

~Tony

7. Member
    The Icon boats are noticeably slower than the previous Z521c models because of the detuned ProXS and the L boats being heavier. The V8 is a better fit for a heavy Ranger and is the best technology available.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    The Icon boats are noticeably slower than the previous Z521c models because of the detuned ProXS and the L boats being heavier. The V8 is a better fit for a heavy Ranger and is the best technology available in a Mercury.
    Fixed it for you... In all seriousness, I have no prejudice against anyone’s engine choice. But I believe the record shows a G2 Evinrude is an excellent performer on that hull.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    a couple of thoughts. 1) the new fourstokes are V8, i am guessing the extra cyls give additional torque. 2) the Ranger dealer near me (Cabelas) told me since they are now part of tracker marine, they will not work on any motor other than a Mercury. 3) search the internet, there are lots of very good review about the new fourstrokes pro xs motors.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

10. Member
    For Power and resale get the 4 Stroke. I believe my Merc 2018 250 2-Stroke is detuned.